- PDF: Delivered by email within 12 to 24 hours of placing the order (Mon-Fri)
The Global Market for Pain Management Drugs and Devices
- Publication Date:January 2013
- Publisher:BCC Research
- Product Type: Report
The Global Market for Pain Management Drugs and Devices
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This BCC Research report, The Global Market for Pain Management Drugs and Devices, provides an overview of products included in this market, and detailed analyses of markets and competitive environments. The study includes information about significant products, players, issues and trends, regulatory issues, and other information affecting the pain management industry.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
This study will provide the reader with the knowledge to adequately view and assess pain management and the problems that the healthcare industry faces as well as provide insights into the market potentials. This covers a wide variety of treatments and products that many people worldwide rely on.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
This BCC Research report is designed to be a helpful business tool that will provide a thorough evaluation of the markets for pain management. The geographical scope of this study is global with a U.S. emphasis. This study will address acute versus chronic pain, treatments, and regulatory issues facing healthcare workers. Also provided is detailed information based on product categories, use of products, forecasts, and competitive analyses.
The report identifies two general segments of pain management:
Within the pharmaceuticals segment several sub-segments are discussed in detail including:
- Narcotic pain management.
- Non-narcotic pain management.
- Antimigraine treatments.
- Other drugs (including fibromyalgia treatments).
The device segment covers several product lines and specifically targets the largest product segments including:
- TENS and neuromuscular stimulators.
- Spinal cord stimulators.
- Other products (including electromagnetic therapies and other treatments).
Each market segment provides detailed information based on product categories, product use, forecasts, and competitive analyses.
The information for this BCC report was obtained through primary and secondary data-collection methods. Primary methods included interviews with approximately 35 key executives, physicians, nurses, product managers, and other professionals involved in the pain treatment industry. Secondary methods included published literature in the area of pain management, investment reports, company literature, and various related journals.
Market data for this report pertains to the global market and uses U.S. dollars at the manufacturers' level. The base year of the report is 2012, with historical data provided for 2008 through 2011, and forecast data provided through 2017. Historical, base year and forecast data are provided for each market segment of the report. Growth rates are determined through a compilation of data, including past trends, future trends, demographics, incidence, mortality, products in research and development, and current product growth, etc. Competitor market share estimates are provided for each market segment for the 2012 base year.
Melissa Elder is an experienced healthcare market analyst specializing in prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and emerging healthcare technologies. Ms. Elder has nearly 20 years of experience in the healthcare industry, specializing in market research for the past 14 years. This experience has given her substantial insight into pharmaceutical market analysis. Her work in the medical community, including emergency room medical training and healthcare information system coordination, has enhanced her ability to provide insight into many healthcare markets.
This report provides:
- An overview of the global market for pain management drugs, which will address acute vs. chronic pain, treatments, and issues facing healthcare workers.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2017.
- Examination of product categories, use of products, and the competitive landscape.
- Coverage of several significant market trends, including undertreatment issues, professional issues, managed care pain issues, trends in new therapies, product pipelines, generic participation, pain research, drug delivery, and patent expirations.
- Discussion of new regulatory requirements.
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players in the industry.
- Chapter- 1: INTRODUCTION - Complimentary
- Chapter- 2: SUMMARY
- Chapter- 3: INDUSTRY OVERVIEW
- Chapter- 4: INDUSTRY TRENDS
- Chapter- 5: TREATING PAIN
- Chapter- 6: PRESCRIPTION PAIN MANAGEMENT MARKET SIZE AND ANALYSIS
- Chapter- 7: PAIN MANAGEMENT DEVICE MARKET SIZE AND ANALYSIS
- Chapter- 8: TOTAL MARKET SUMMARY
- Chapter- 9: INDUSTRY DEVELOPMENTS
- Chapter- 10: COMPANY PROFILES
- Chapter- 11: APPENDIX I: SELECTED PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINICS-UNITED STATES-BY STATE
- Chapter- 12: APPENDIX II: GLOBAL SELECTED PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINICS, BY COUNTRY
- Chapter- 13: APPENDIX III: U.S. PAIN SOCIETIES AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Chapter- 14: APPENDIX IV: INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS
- Chapter- 15: APPENDIX V: COMPANY NAMES AND ADDRESSES
- List of Tables
- Summary Table : GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT PHARMACEUTICALS AND DEVICES MARKET, 2012 AND 2017
- Table 1 : OBJECTIVE SIGNS OF PAIN
- Table 2 : ESTIMATED GLOBAL POPULATION AND ANNUAL GROWTH BY SELECTED AGE GROUP AND SELECTED YEARS, THROUGH 2030
- Table 3 : GLOBAL POPULATION BY SELECTED COUNTRY, THROUGH 2015
- Table 4 : GLOBAL LIFE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH BY SELECTED COUNTRY, 1980 AND 2010
- Table 5 : SEVERE HEADACHE OR MIGRAINE, LOW BACK PAIN, AND NECK PAIN AMONG ADULTS 18 YEARS OF AGE AND OVER*, 2005-2009
- Table 6 : ESTIMATED* PREVALENCE/INCIDENCE OF CONDITIONS AFFECTING THE WORLDWIDE ORTHOPEDIC INDUSTRY, AVERAGE FIGURE, 2008-2010
- Table 7 : CANCER PAIN MEDICATION
- Table 8 : ESTIMATED HIV REPORTED CASES BY REGION, 2011
- Table 9 : BURN CLASSIFICATIONS
- Table 10 : BIRTH RATES AND BIRTHS BY COUNTRY, 2010 ESTIMATES
- Table 11 : U.S. SURGICAL PROCEDURES
- Table 12 : SELECT SURGICAL PROCEDURES FOR GERMANY, UNITED KINGDOM, AND FRANCE
- Table 13 : PAIN BY SELECTED CATEGORY AND GENDER IN THE 18+ U.S. POPULATION*
- Table 14 : AVAILABILITY OF EDUCATION IN PAIN MANAGEMENT BY SELECT REGION/COUNTRY
- Table 15 : TOTAL NUMBER OF ABUSE TREATMENT FACILITIES AND CLIENTS, 2000-2010
- Table 16 : BENEFITS OF PRESCRIPTION MONITORING PROGRAMS FOR MEDICAL BOARDS
- Table 17 : STATES WITH ELECTRONIC PRESCRIPTION MONITORING PROGRAMS
- Table 18 : STATE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES SCHEDULING AUTHORITIES AND OTHER CONTACT INFORMATION
- Table 19 : NURSE CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR PAIN MANAGEMENT, BY REQUIRING STATE
- Table 20 : PHYSICIANS PER 1,000 POPULATION BY YEAR AND COUNTRY
- Table 21 : NUMBER OF PHYSICIAN PER 100,000 RESIDENT POPULATION, UNITED STATES, 2009
- Table 22 : AVAILABILITY OF INJECTABLE MORPHINE BY COUNTRY
- Table 23 : AVAILABILITY OF ORAL MORPHINE IN HOSPICE-TYPE SETTINGS BY COUNTRY
- Table 24 : WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION RANKING OF HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, TOP 50 (2000)
- Table 25 : HEALTH EXPENDITURES AS PERCENTAGE OF GDP BY COUNTRY, 1980 TO 2010
- Table 26 : HOSPITAL USAGE STATISTICS, AVERAGE 2000-2010
- Table 27 : LIST OF EXTENDED-RELEASE AND LONG-ACTING OPIOID PRODUCTS REQUIRED TO HAVE AN OPIOID REMS, BRAND NAME PRODUCTS
- Table 28 : LIST OF EXTENDED-RELEASE AND LONG-ACTING OPIOID PRODUCTS REQUIRED TO HAVE AN OPIOID REMS, GENERIC NAME PRODUCTS
- Table 29 : LIST OF TRANSMUCOSAL IMMEDIATE-RELEASE FENTANYL PRODUCTS REQUIRED TO HAVE TIRF REMS ACCESS PROGRAM
- Table 30 : LIST OF MARKETED ACETAMINOPHEN-CONTAINING PRESCRIPTION PRODUCTS
- Table 31 : ADVANTAGES OF IONTOPHORETIC DRUG DELIVERY
- Table 32 : RECENT FDA APPLICATIONS/APPROVALS, JANUARY 2010-OCTOBER 2012
- Table 33 : MOST COMMONLY USED GENERAL ANESTHETIC AGENTS
- Table 34 : ACETAMINOPHEN AND ACETAMINOPHEN COMBINATION PRODUCTS
- Table 35 : ASPIRIN AND ASPIRIN COMBINATION PRODUCTS
- Table 36 : IBUPROFEN AND IBUPROFEN COMBINATION PRODUCTS
- Table 37 : KETOPROFEN PRODUCTS
- Table 38 : OTC NONSTEROID ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES
- Table 39 : ANTI-MIGRAINE PRODUCTS
- Table 40 : TOPICAL ANESTHETIC PRODUCTS
- Table 41 : UNITED STATES: ADULTS 18 YEARS AND OVER WHO USED COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE (CAM) IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS BY TYPE AND THERAPY, 2002-2012
- Table 42 : HOSPICE STATISTICS, PATIENTS BY CHARACTERISTICS, 2009 AND 2010
- Table 43 : HOSPICE STATISTICS, PATIENTS BY PRIMARY DIAGNOSIS
- Table 44 : NHPCO COMMITTEES AND TASK FORCES
- Table 45 : ESTIMATED NUMBER OF REGISTERED HOSPITALS BY SELECTED COUNTRY, 2010 ESTIMATES
- Table 46 : TOTAL NUMBER OF REGISTERED U.S. HOSPITALS BY TYPE, 2010
- Table 47 : GLOBAL PRESCRIPTION PAIN MANAGEMENT PHARMACEUTICALS MARKET AT MANUFACTURERS' SALES LEVELS, THROUGH 2017
- Table 48 : PRESCRIPTION NARCOTIC AND NON-NARCOTIC MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE BY REVENUE, 2012
- Table 49 : PRESCRIPTION ANTI-MIGRAINE DRUG MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE BY REVENUE, 2012
- Table 50 : PRESCRIPTION ANESTHETIC MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE BY REVENUE, 2012
- Table 51 : GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT DEVICES MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE, THROUGH 2017
- Table 52 : GLOBAL NEUROMUSCULAR STIMULATOR/TENS-ELECTROTHERAPY DEVICES-MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE, 2012
- Table 53 : GLOBAL SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE, 2012
- Table 54 : PAIN MANAGEMENT PHARMACEUTICALS AND DEVICES MARKET BY REVENUE, THROUGH 2017
- Table 55 : PERCENT DISTRIBUTION OF THE GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT MARKET BY SEGMENT, 2012
- Table 56 : DISTRIBUTION OF GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT REVENUES BY REGION, 2012
- Table 57 : SELECTED PAIN-MANAGEMENT DRUG PIPELINES
- Table 58 : U.S. PATENT EXPIRATION DATES FOR SELECT PAIN DRUGS
- Table 59 : FIRST TIME PRESCRIPTION GENERIC PAIN MANAGEMENT AND APPROVALS, JANUARY 2004-OCTOBER 2012
- List of Figures
- Summary Figure : GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT PHARMACEUTICALS AND DEVICES MARKET, 2012 AND 2017
- Figure 1 : PAIN-MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES
- Figure 2 : ESTIMATED GLOBAL POPULATION BY SELECTED AGE GROUP AND SELECTED YEARS, 2000-2030
- Figure 3 : GLOBAL POPULATION BY SELECTED COUNTRY, 2010 AND PROJECTED 2015
- Figure 4 : GLOBAL LIFE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH BY SELECTED COUNTRY, 1980 AND 2010
- Figure 5 : GLOBAL CANCER DEATHS BY TYPE, 2008
- Figure 6 : SEVERE HEADACHE OR MIGRAINE, LOW BACK PAIN, AND NECK PAIN AMONG ADULTS 18 YEARS OF AGE AND OVER*, 2005-2009
- Figure 7 : ESTIMATED* PREVALENCE/INCIDENCE OF CONDITIONS AFFECTING THE WORLDWIDE ORTHOPEDIC INDUSTRY, AVERAGE FIGURE 2008-2010
- Figure 8 : CAUSES OF CANCER PAIN
- Figure 9 : ADULT PREVALENCE RATE, 2011
- Figure 10 : BURN PAIN MANAGEMENT APPROACH
- Figure 11 : BIRTH RATES AND BIRTHS BY COUNTRY, 2010 ESTIMATES
- Figure 12 : PAIN BY SELECTED CATEGORY AND GENDER IN THE 18+ U.S. POPULATION*
- Figure 13 : TOTAL NUMBER OF ABUSE TREATMENT FACILITIES, 2000-2010
- Figure 14 : TOTAL NUMBER OF ABUSE TREATMENT CLIENTS, 2000-2010
- Figure 15 : PHYSICIANS PER 1,000 POPULATION BY COUNTRY, 2010*
- Figure 16 : NUMBER OF PHYSICIANS PER 100,000 RESIDENT POPULATION, UNITED STATES 2009
- Figure 17 : HOSPITAL USAGE STATISTICS
- Figure 18 : UNITED STATES: ADULTS 18 YEARS AND OVER WHO USED COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE (CAM) IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS BY TYPE AND THERAPY, 2002-2012
- Figure 19 : TOTAL HOSPICE PATIENTS SERVED BY YEAR, 2006-2010
- Figure 20 : TOTAL HOSPICE PATIENTS BY GENDER, 2009 AND 2010
- Figure 21 : TOTAL HOSPICE PATIENTS BY AGE, 2009 AND 2010
- Figure 22 : TOTAL HOSPICE PATIENTS BY PRIMARY DIAGNOSIS, 2009 AND 2010
- Figure 23 : GLOBAL PRESCRIPTION PAIN MANAGEMENT PHARMACEUTICALS MARKET AT MANUFACTURERS' SALES LEVELS, 2008-2017
- Figure 24 : PRESCRIPTION NARCOTIC AND NON-NARCOTIC MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE BY REVENUE, 2012
- Figure 25 : PRESCRIPTION ANTI-MIGRAINE DRUG MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE BY REVENUE, 2012
- Figure 26 : PRESCRIPTION ANESTHETIC MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE BY REVENUE, 2012
- Figure 27 : GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT DEVICES MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2008-2017
- Figure 28 : GLOBAL NEUROMUSCULAR STIMULATOR/TENS-ELECTROTHERAPY DEVICES-MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE, 2012
- Figure 29 : GLOBAL SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR MANUFACTURER MARKET SHARE, 2012
- Figure 30 : PAIN MANAGEMENT PHARMACEUTICALS AND DEVICES MARKET BY REVENUE, 2008-2017
- Figure 31 : PERCENT DISTRIBUTION OF THE GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT MARKET BY SEGMENT, 2012
- Figure 32 : PERCENTAGE DISTRIBUTION OF GLOBAL PAIN MANAGEMENT SHARES BY REGION, 2012