This IDC study identifies IDC's top 10 predictions for the worldwide enabling technologies and semiconductor market for 2015. These predictions will be particularly relevant to clients in executive management, strategic management, and product management roles.
According to Nina Turner, research manager in IDC's Enabling Technologies research practice, "Our predictions for 2015 share a theme that this year will be a pivot point for semiconductor and technology convergence, integration, and vendor consolidation. By 2016 and 2017, we'll look back and see how 2015 selected the market winners and losers in terms of technologies and vendors."
Table of Contents
In This Study
1. Unified Cellular Connectivity and Horizontal Application Platforms Will Aid Internet of Things Development Significantly in 2015
2. Broad Support for an Industrial Internet Big Data Analytics Strategy Will Start to Appear in the Boardrooms of the Largest Industrial Players
3. Growth in Microcontrollers and Sensors Will Continue to Expand in Automotive and Industrial Applications
4. Microcontroller Suppliers Will Move into Leadership Positions and Drive the Emerging Opportunities in Smart Home and Wearables
5. Technology Suppliers Will Accelerate Software and Prototyping Investments in 2015 to Address Emerging Opportunities in Smart Home, Wearables, and the Internet of Things
6. The Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems Will Accelerate Semiconductor Vendor Consolidation in 2015
7. ARM and x86 Architectural Adoption Will Take Hold in 2015 as Semiconductor Vendors in Communications and Consumer Markets Continue a Long-Term Transition Away from the MIPS and Power Architectures
8. The Influence of Cloud Service Providers on the Server Value Chain and Component Design and Pricing Will Grow to the Disadvantage of Mainstream Server OEMs
9. Driven by Cloud Service Providers, 25Gbps and 50Gbps Connectivity Will Emerge as a Viable Alternative to 10Gbps and 40Gbps in Datacenter Infrastructure Environments
10. The Ramp-Up of 3D NAND in 2H15 Will Unbalance the NAND Flash Memory Market
Table: Retrospective of Worldwide Enabling Technologies and Semiconductors 2014 Top 10 Predictions