This IDC study describes the Information Technology Organizational Development and Talent Management Maturity Model (IT-OD&TM3) framework, which identifies the stages, critical measures, outcomes, and actions required to help IT organizations maximize the value, effectiveness, agility, and bench strength of their most important asset, their people. The maturity model provides a framework for IT organizations of all types and sizes to:
- Assess the IT organization's current workforce practices and procedures
- Enhance awareness of organizational strengths and weaknesses
- Define a road map toward best industry practices
- Highlight vital workforce-related topics that have not previously been emphasized
- Gain insights into new processes that could add value to the IT organization
"This IDC Maturity Model is designed to help move IT organizations toward the concept of "One IT" -- from a loosely connected group of organizational silos and department chiefdoms to a single, integrated organization characterized by a common purpose, coordinated actions, and a high degree of internal communication, teamwork, and standardized processes," says Eric Bloom, adjunct analyst with IDC's Research Network. "This transformation requires organizational vision, the creation of streamlined employee processes, effective deployment of employee skill sets, organizational cohesiveness, and employee teamwork and interdepartmental cooperation -- all of which this maturity model is designed to foster."