Summary The telecom service revenue in Qatar is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 3.6% between 2015-20 driven by growth in the mobile data and broadband segments. One of the major factors for growth of the mobile data will be the high rates of smartphone penetration which exists in the country. The country has a smartphone penetration level of 80% of total population, which is amongst one of the highest in the world. 3G and 4G services were launched in the country in 2006 and 2013 respectively by Ooredoo Qatar. Competition in the Qatari telecom market has been steadily evolving with Vodafone gaining share since its launch in July 2009. Ooredoo is the market incumbent and leader with share of over 70% of total service revenue. Mobile data revenues are estimated to witness a strong growth during 2015-20, as the operators are focussing on LTE and LTE-A rollouts. Pyramid Research expects the overall contribution of mobile data revenue to total telecom service revenue is estimated to grow by around 11 percentage points over 2015-20 to reach 41% by 2020.
Key Findings - The Qatar telecom market is estimated to generate total telecom services revenue of $2.3bn in 2015 and is estimated to be the fourth largest in the GCC region in 2015. Pyramid Research expects total market revenue in Qatar to grow at a CAGR of 3.6% to reach $2.8bn in 2020.
- The mobile voice segment will contribute 44.6% of total revenue in 2015. We expect to see overall service revenue grow at a CAGR of 3.6% over the 2015-2020 period. Operators continue to roll out LTE (and LTE-A) as the standard for mobile broadband providing further impetus for growth of mobile data, with a projected CAGR of 10.7% over the forecast period and revenue contribution of 41.2% by 2020.
- Competition in the Qatari telecom market has been steadily evolving with Vodafone gaining share since its launch in July 2009. Ooredoo is the market incumbent and leader with share of over 70% of total service revenue.
- Fixed voice services, with total revenue of $372m, will make up 63.0% of total fixed revenue in 2015. Circuit-switched telephony will generate $275m in revenue, while revenue from VoIP services is estimated to increase by 92.4% to reach $97m in 2015.
- IPTV services in Qatar will reach a household penetration rate of 35.1% and will generate $25m in service revenue in 2015. The number of IPTV households will grow 18.7% year-over-year to reach 134,000 by year-end 2015.
Synopsis “Qatar: Rising Data Traffic from LTE Networks and Expanded Fiber Coverage Will Support Revenue Growth Through 2020” report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in the Qatar today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into the Qatar's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Qatar in a regional context; a comparative review of market size and trends with that of other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Qatar.
- The regulatory environment and trends; a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile; analysis as well as forecasts and historical figures of service revenue from fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and data, and pay-TV markets.
- The service evolution; a look at the change in the breakdown of overall revenue by fixed/pay-TV and mobile sectors and by voice, data and video in the current year as well as the end of the forecast period.
- The competitive landscape; an examination of key trends in competition and service providers' performance, revenue market shares and expected moves over the next 18-24 months.
- An in-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony and broadband services, mobile voice and data services, and pay-TV services; a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by technology/platform as well as operator, average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities; this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in the Qatar telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
Reasons To Buy - Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of telecommunications market of Qatar, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Qatar's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer's demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the Qatar's telecom market.
- Contains analysis of key telecom players in the market and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Qatar.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
"Although cable operators occupy a strong position in the US market, there may be opportunities for a new 5G fixed–wireless access (FWA) entrant to gain market share and attract cord-cutters." Verizon will launch its new 5G Home mmWave fixed–wireless access (FWA) service on 1 October 2018. Although Verizon...
Trends, opportunities and forecast in telecom cable market to 2023 by product type (external copper telecom cable, internal telecom & data cable, and fiber optic telecom cable), by installation type (land based and sea based), by application (telecommunication, CATV, data center, computer network, and others) and by region (North America,...
This country report and accompanying data annex provide a comprehensive overview of Denmark's telecoms market, including KPIs and data on subscribers, penetration, revenue and ARPU. The report analyses the strategies of major players in the country's fixed and mobile telecoms markets, and includes market share data and operators' infrastructure...
This country report and accompanying data annex provide a comprehensive overview of Serbia's telecoms market, including KPIs and data on subscribers, penetration, revenue and ARPU. The report analyses the strategies of major players in the country's fixed and mobile telecoms markets, and includes market share data and operators' infrastructure...
48 pages •
By Paul Budde Communication Pty Ltd
• Sep 2018
Turkey demonstrates progress for both mobile and fixed broadband sectors While a number of political events led to the Turkish currency taking a slide in mid 2018; the telecoms sector itself has demonstrated keen growth over the past year or so with a rise in subscribers, data usage and uptake of bundled packages. Significant...
238 pages •
By Paul Budde Communication Pty Ltd
• Jul 2018
Mobile broadband will continue to fuel growth across Asia to 2023 Asia’s telecoms markets continue to see solid growth, however this growth is predicted to slow down over the next five years to 2023. While the mobile broadband market still has significant room for further strong growth, the mobile subscriber market...
"Revenue in the fixed broadband segment will increase slowly, driven by investment in fibre access solutions." This report examines the key trends and drivers, and provides telecoms market forecasts for fixed communication services in the developed Asia–Pacific region. It includes...
"The increasing popularity of fibre and VDSL will make TV services more-accessible and affordable for consumers." This report examines the key trends and drivers, and provides telecoms market forecasts for fixed communications services in Latin America. It includes worldwide context and commentary on six...
64 pages •
By Paul Budde Communication Pty Ltd
• Aug 2018
The Philippines prepares for the transition from 4G to 5G Telecommunications investment in the Philippines will continue to see increasing emphasis on supporting high speed broadband access. The bulk of the fixed services are in urban areas. In contrast, the fixed line market in the Philippines remains underdeveloped...
This country report and accompanying data annex provide a comprehensive overview of Singapore's telecoms market, including KPIs and data on subscribers, penetration, revenue and ARPU. The report analyses the strategies of major players in the country's fixed and mobile telecoms markets, and includes market share data and operators' infrastructure...