Summary Malaysia is the eighth-largest telecom market in the APAC region and is estimated to generate telecom service revenue of $13.9bn by 2020. Mobile data will contribute nearly 39.5% of the total revenues, due to increased adoption of OTT and other mobile entertainment apps. Operator investments in LTE expansion and network modernization will be the major catalyst for the growth of mobile data services in Malaysia. MNOs will focus on high-end data customers to drive postpaid segment revenue. Moreover, operators will focus on differentiated VAS offerings, such as direct operator billing platforms, cloud storage and music streaming apps to capture market share. Further, triple-play offerings will help operators to attract more subscriptions in the coming years. Pay-TV operators will focus on extending their content libraries and adding value-added services, such as on-demand video and connected PVRs to drive the pay-TV subscriptions. The entry of iflix will enhance the competition in the pay-TV market.
Key Findings - With one of the most mature and saturated telecom markets, Malaysia telecom revenue will reach $9.3bn, or 3.1% of nominal GDP, by year-end 2015.
- Pyramid Research expects telecom service revenue to reach $13.9bn in 2020 (CAGR of 8.3% over 2015-2020) driven by operator investments in LTE network enhancement and broadband network expansion to support the government's national broadband objectives.
- The revenue mix will continue to be dominated by mobile services, due to ongoing deployment of LTE networks to achieve nationwide coverage and surge in data demand.
- Fixed and mobile data revenue will increase subsequently and will account for 53.7% of total revenue in 2020, up from 38.6% in 2015.
Synopsis “Malaysia: Government Initiatives and Operator Investment to Drive Fixed and Mobile Broadband Growth” report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Malaysia today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Malaysia's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Malaysia compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Malaysia.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2013 to 2020.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Malaysia's telecommunications markets.
Reasons To Buy - Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of Malaysia's telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Malaysia's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the Malaysia telecom market.
- Analysis of key telecom players in the markets and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Malaysia.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
"The increasing popularity of fibre and VDSL will make TV services more-accessible and affordable for consumers." This report examines the key trends and drivers, and provides telecoms market forecasts for fixed communications services in Latin America. It includes worldwide context and commentary on six...
This country report and accompanying data annex provide a comprehensive overview of Denmark's telecoms market, including KPIs and data on subscribers, penetration, revenue and ARPU. The report analyses the strategies of major players in the country's fixed and mobile telecoms markets, and includes market share data and operators' infrastructure...
This country report and accompanying data annex provide a comprehensive overview of Singapore's telecoms market, including KPIs and data on subscribers, penetration, revenue and ARPU. The report analyses the strategies of major players in the country's fixed and mobile telecoms markets, and includes market share data and operators' infrastructure...
"New fibre entrants in emerging markets must be aware that generating strong subscriber take-up will require significant effort." This report assesses the best strategies for success for new fibre entrants in emerging markets. The report also provides...
"Although cable operators occupy a strong position in the US market, there may be opportunities for a new 5G fixed–wireless access (FWA) entrant to gain market share and attract cord-cutters." Verizon will launch its new 5G Home mmWave fixed–wireless access (FWA) service on 1 October 2018. Although Verizon...
Morocco: Country Intelligence Report Summary "Morocco: Country Intelligence Report", a new Country Intelligence Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Morocco today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2023. Published annually, the...
Trends, opportunities and forecast in telecom cable market to 2023 by product type (external copper telecom cable, internal telecom & data cable, and fiber optic telecom cable), by installation type (land based and sea based), by application (telecommunication, CATV, data center, computer network, and others) and by region (North America,...
This country report and accompanying data annex provide a comprehensive overview of Norway's telecoms market, including KPIs and data on subscribers, penetration, revenue and ARPU. The report analyses the strategies of major players in the country's fixed and mobile telecoms markets, and includes market share data and operators' infrastructure...
109 pages •
By Paul Budde Communication Pty Ltd
• Oct 2018
Sweden’s telecom sector revenue showing continued growth Sweden’s telecom market includes mature mobile and broadband sectors which have consistently been among the first in Europe to deploy advanced technologies. The country retains one of the best developed LTE infrastructures in the region and is poised to be...
88 pages •
By Paul Budde Communication Pty Ltd
• Oct 2018
Italy’s multi-spectrum auction paves the way for 5G services in 2019 Italy’s large telecom market has one of the highest mobile penetration rates in Europe and has benefitted from progressive government programs aimed at developing the fibre broadband sector. The broadband market has effective competition within...