Ceramic Matrix Composites and Carbon Matrix Composites: Technologies and Global Markets
- October 2016 •
- 141 pages •
- Report ID: 4316844
- Learn about material types, their applications, and production methods regarding ceramic matrix composites and carbon matrix composites.
- Learn from detailed descriptions of various types of ceramic composites, and new and emerging materials for CMC and CAMC primary and secondary phases.
- Identify current technological trends in the ceramic matrix composites and carbon matrix composites industry.
- Gain insight about patents related to CMC and CAMC materials, fabrication methods, and applications.
- The global market for ceramic and carbon matrix composites will grow from $3.9 billion in 2016 to nearly $6.2 billion by 2021 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4% for the period of 2016-2021.
- The aerospace and defense sector is the largest segment of the ceramic and carbon matrix composites market and will grow from nearly $2.3 billion in 2016 to nearly $3.5 billion by 2021, with a CAGR of 9.1%.
- The energy and environmental sector is expected to increase from $639 million in 2016 to $965 million by 2021, with a CAGR of 8.6%.
Introduction & Scope
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
BCC Research published its first report on ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) in 2010. Since then, the market for these materials has been rapidly expanding, new technological developments have occurred in the field, and industry changes have taken place. In addition, carbon matrix materials (CAMCs) are emerging as another important category of composites for industrial applications. Carbon matrix composites share production technologies and certain fields of application with CMCs, and sometimes they are included within the CMC classification. With this study, BCC Research continues its commitment to monitoring the CMC market and expanding its evaluation to cover CAMCs also. The main goal is to provide an updated review of the most important advances in CMC and CAMC technology, including recent significant research activities. In addition, a detailed overview of the current CMC and CAMC market is offered together with an objective analysis of industry and technological trends and prospects for future growth.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
Provide an update l on the most advanced materials and processes employed for the fabrication of ceramic and carbon matrix composites.
- Highlight new technological developments in the fabrication of ceramic and carbon matrix composites, while outlining technical issues.
- Review existing fields of application for CMCs and CAMCs and investigate emerging applications.
- Estimate current global markets for CMCs and CAMCs by matrix type, application, and region, with growth forecasts through 2021 for each market segment.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- Supply an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of CMCs and CAMCS and their fabrication equipment, technology developers, and future
- Provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
- Determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Ceramic and carbon matrix composites are materials containing a secondary phase (or filler) dispersed within a ceramic or carbon matrix that forms the primary phase. In
most formulations, the function of the secondary phase is to confer increased strength to the matrix; hence its alternative name, the reinforcing phase. In addition to
mechanical functions, the secondary phase can be added to improve other properties, such as bioactivity in biocompatible materials or electrical conductivity to an insulating matrix. In 1999, the year prior to BCC Research’s first published report on CMCs, the market for CMCs was valued at only $212.6 million worldwide; however, the global market has grown steadily since then. CMC and CAMC fabrication technologies have also continued to evolve. In addition, several new applications have exited the development stage and entered commercialization, while others are being developed.
The principal reason for doing this study is to present a current assessment of the CMC and CAMC industry from both a technological and market point of view and to outline
future trends and key developments. There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of this market from a global standpoint. As use of CMCs and CAMCs expands and new fields of application emerge, information on the suppliers and developers of these materials and their regional distribution becomes more valuable.
An equally important reason for undertaking this study is to provide technical insights into CMC and CAMC manufacturing by:
- Providing a review of material types, their applications, and production methods.
- Identifying current technological trends.
- Providing an overview of the main global R&D activities related to CMC and CAMC technology, resulting in the issuance of patents.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
- Manufacture, sell, and distribute CMC and CAMC based products.
- Supply raw materials for CMC and CAMC production.
- Manufacture processing and characterization equipment utilized by CMC and CAMC producers.
- Fabricate and supply wear-resistant parts, hardened tools, kiln furniture, radiant heaters and other high-temperature components, turbines, ballistic armor, aircraft parts, low friction products, and biocompatible materials.
- Provide technical and/or marketing services in conjunction with the above mentioned products.
- Are planning to enter the CMC and CAMC industry as a manufacturer, supplier or end user.
Overall, this study applies to industry sectors such as mechanical, chemical, energy, environmental, medical, dental, automotive, aerospace, defense, electronics, and sensors and instrumentation. The study is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this study to be a good source of technical information regarding CMC and CAMC technology, materials, equipment, and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers, and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the CMC and CAMC industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report provides an updated review of CMC and CAMC technology, including materials and production processes, and identifies current and emerging applications
for this technology. BCC Research delineates the current market status for CMC and CAMC based products, defines trends, and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The CMC and CAMC market is analyzed based on the following segments: matrix material, application, and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed. More specifically, the market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is divided into five sections.
In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of CMC and CAMC technology are provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section,
current and emerging applications for ceramic and carbon matrix composites are also identified and grouped in segments (aerospace and defense, electronics, energy and
environmental, mechanical/chemical, medical and dental, sensors and instrumentation, transportation, and others). The second section provides a technological review of ceramic and carbon matrix composites. This section offers a revised and detailed description of various types of ceramic composites; new and emerging materials for CMC and CAMC primary and secondary phases; and typical fabrication methods and innovative processes for ceramic and carbon matrix composites. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2013, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section entails a global market analysis of CMC and CAMC products. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (matrix
type, application, and region), with actual data referring to the years 2014 and 2015, and estimates for 2016. The analysis of current CMC and CAMC revenues is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, technological trends, and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for ceramic and carbon matrix composites within each segment, together with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for the period 2016 through 2021.
In the fourth section of the study, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading suppliers of ceramic and carbon matrix composites, together
with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these firms and an evaluation of other key industry players.
Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided. The fifth and final section includes an analysis of recently issued U.S. patents, with a summary of patents related to CMC and CAMC materials, fabrication methods, and applications. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application, and matrix type.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
To analyze the overall market and market segments, both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data. The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC Research reports, professional journals, the author’s field experience, and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by a thorough investigation of manufacturers of ceramic and carbon matrix composites, producers of raw materials and fabrication
equipment, and developers of new technologies, accounting for at least 95% of the global market. Data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources,
including company executives, managers, engineers and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers, and users of CMCs and CAMCs and related
materials and process equipment; representatives of academia and trade associations; and industry market analysts.
Additional data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, websites, annual reports, industry directories,
industry magazines and catalogs, government sources, and other public sources. Secondary sources of information include, but are not limited to:
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- European Patent Office.
- Company websites.
- Company annual reports.
- Thomas Register.
- Moody’s Directory.
- S&P Industry Survey.
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory.
- Foreign Chamber of Commerce Directories.
- Foreign Stock Exchange Listings.
- American Ceramic Society Publications.
- American Chemical Society Publications.
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends
and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and
market information, relevant BCC Research reports, and the author’s own in-depth and
comprehensive analysis of the collected information.