Biobanking: Technologies and Global Markets
- November 2016 •
- 163 pages •
- Report ID: 4417134
Use this report to:
- Analyze the role biobanks play in the development of new drugs for specific disease treatments.
- Learn about the prevailing market size for certain biobank services available in the general, ever-growing pharmaceutical/biomedical technology market.
- Identify factors influencing the ever-increasing demand for biobanks and significant biobank technologies, repositories and geographies.
- The global market for biobanking technologies was valued at $186.3 billion in 2015. This market is expected to increase from $198.2 billion in 2016 to $240.2 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.9% for 2016-2021.
- The private sector of biobanking is expected to grow from $78.5 billion in 2016 to $93.7 billion in 2021 at a CAGR of 3.6% from 2016 through 2021.
- Population biobanking is expected to grow from $57.8 billion in 2016 to $76.7 billion at a CAGR of 5.8% from 2016 through 2021.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This is a comprehensive analysis report of the global biobanks market. It reviews various products in the global biobank markets together with projected sales and trends in the industry through 2021. The document offers a range of information, spanning general trends in the industry to detailed analyses of the role biobanks play in the development of new drugs for specific disease treatments.
The information offered in this report is valuable to the reader in quantifying and evaluating the prevailing market size for certain biobank services available in the general, ever-growing pharmaceutical/biomedical technology market. Various data sources, including but not limited to company publications, industry sources and benchmarks, and other sources, have been used to develop trends and forecasts in the biobank industry. Other elements discussed in the paper include: factors influencing the ever-increasing demand for biobanks and significant biobank technologies, repositories and geographies. Evaluation of biotech/pharmaceutical industry markets vs. the government is given a major consideration in the report.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
Great opportunities in the biobank industry await companies that have deployed effective strategies to invest in this ripe market. As much as this is true, however, the availability of opportunities marks a company’s ability to develop an effective strategy and ends with the effective execution of the strategy to capture profit from it.
In the field of developing new drugs and treatments for particular diseases, the largest opportunities are found in the biobanks market. Introduction of a resource into the biobank market for investigating various combined disease therapies is a critical driver in the pharma/biotech area; this is an element looked into thoroughly by this research. During the forecast period, 2016 to 2021, this element is expected to make a substantial contribution to the growth of the industry. Emerging biobank markets based on particular applications and disease segments are also analyzed in this report.
Emerging geographies are expected to continually drive growth in the global markets. This is attributed to the ever-growing middle-class in emerging countries like Brazil, India, Russia and China. The critical topics required for evaluating emerging technologies and players, changing market dynamics and strategies for accessing particular geographies, disease segments and emerging markets to enable resource allocation and effective decision-making are also addressed in this study.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report entails forecasted and prevailing biobank products within the 2016 to 2021 period. Biobanks play a critical role in the development of new drugs. The document also features new FDA-approved products in 2015 and 2016, as well as those awaiting approval within the forecast period. The 2016 figures in this report are approximated except in cases where reports of exact results have been released; this is attributed to the timing of this report’s release.
Emerging companies and the leading competitors in the prevailing global Biobanks industry are analyzed extensively in this report. The specific product strategies and products of leading drug manufacturers in the market are analyzed and profiled in the report. Biotechnology companies that utilize biobanks to develop new, novel products are also included in the analysis. New products expected to be introduced in the market within the forecast period and their manufacturers, in addition to their impact on the competitive biobank market are discussed in this report.
The competitive market environment is evaluated with a unique emphasis on the effect of the new technologies and products on the prevailing patient care standard. Emerging companies and current leaders in the market are profiled and discussed in detail. Market figures are founded on the revenue level of the manufacturers and forecast done in the 2016-dollar value. Forecast figures exclude inflation. Parameters like the introduction of new products, forecast sales for prevailing products, expanded indications for prevailing products and forecasted changes in the rates of diagnosis, prevalence and scripting for specific diseases are considered when assessing trends.
Forecasts featured in this report for the period between 2016 and 2021 are based on disease category, product and company. The study is organized for an overview of the biobanks market by geography, company and product. The projections are based on country or geographic region. For every disease sub-segment, the global market is evaluated and data provided.
Consumables that do not require prescription from a physician like over-the-counter (OTC) drugs are not covered in this report. Sales figures are in U.S. dollars, with each reflecting change in revenue performance due to currency fluctuations. Variations in local currencies, however, are not accounted for by the revenue figures. Unless pointed out, all data on market share in the report are on a global basis.
This report is meant for acquisition specialists, product managers, business planners, investors, licensing strategists, market research analysts, investor consultants and any other persons interested in the biobanks market, industry participants, products and even its future.
The significance of identifying general product opportunities, trends in the market, M&A opportunities and insights and emerging geographies that offer defensive moves or sales growth guidance cannot be overstated in this study for various constituents, including but not limited to:
- Sales and marketing, corporate strategy, R&D and business development aspects of companies that are well-established in this industry shall benefit from this report.
- Emerging biotechnology players in the biobank market must comprehend particular opportunities for out-licensing, sourced from biomarker technology or product differentiation aspects in comparison to leading, emerging and competitive therapies. Market forecasts can also support investments as long as there is in existence detailed and thorough market forecast substantiation, as provided in this report.
- Investment companies analyzing hedged investments or venture capital candidates gain insights on the risks and opportunities present in the industry, a specific analysis of the company and a product.
- Equity analysts have access to detailed forecasts substantiated through quantitative analysis, spanning the next five years, with the ability to support further evaluation of company and product forecasts in the long- and short-term.
Jackson Highsmith is a life sciences research consultant with more than 16 years of research experience. Jackson has been consulting with specialty pharmaceuticals and large pharmaceutical industry players since 2007. Prior to that, he worked at a large research consultancy, where he focused on in-depth research; he also has worked at a large pharmaceutical company in a wide range of medical therapeutics in early- and mid-stage drug development.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
Leading industry experts, like industry analysts, company executives and top medical practitioners, were interviewed through an in-depth and thorough interviewing process. Various independent segments experiencing fast growth make up the general biobank field. The total market opportunity in every segment makes up both the projected and prevailing markets for completeness reasons. Every relevant growth area and driving mechanism features a detailed forecast in each market segment.
Emerging and participating companies in the biobank market like the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute and the American Heart Association were the major sources of information used to develop this report. Other sources of information include: published articles in medical journals like Circulation, the American Heart Journal, Lancet and BioBanks Pharmacology Journal, among others; Government agencies and World Health Organizations; annual reports; literature searches; and 10Ks, among others. The U.S. Census Bureau International database was the major source of estimates on population data in this report.
Company disclosures held in the public domain or by the government acted as the major sources of historical and current individual product revenue figures.