Top Trends in Tobacco and Anti-Smoking Aids 2017: Exploring the latest trends in cigarettes and smoking tobacco, cigars and cigarillos, smokeless tobacco, e-cigarettes and smoking alternatives
Summary Traditional tobacco flavors appeal most to European and North American smokers, while in other regions consumers demonstrate a stronger preference for fruity and minty/floral tobacco flavors. 52% of smokers prioritize flavor when shopping for cigarettes. That 61% of smokers enjoy the taste and smell of tobacco-flavored cigarettes is evidence that the traditional smoker still forms a key target for cigarette manufacturers.
It has identified five key smoker groups impacting innovation in tobacco -
- Traditional: Driven by a concern for authentic, high-quality tobacco products with a long heritage and traditional flavour. The use of organic materials appeals to traditional smokers who seek simplicity and tradition above all else. Smokers in this group demonstrate brand loyalty and a desire for the familiar.
- Occasional/Social: Occasional smokers enjoy indulgent tobacco products, while social smokers smoke when socializing with friends, preferring ‘experiences’ to ‘things’. Targeting occasions should unlock growth in this group of mostly millennial consumers; a group characterized by shifting consumption priorities.
- Novelty: Novelty smokers experiment with unique flavors and ingredients, and seek products which offer exciting tobacco consumption moments. Vaping and e-cigarettes offer the most direct access to this group, and are increasing their appeal among various consumer groups, young and old.
- Premium: Premium smokers seek to distinguish themselves through the purchases they make, with a focus on quality ingredients, exclusivity and heritage brands. They are found increasingly in emerging markets, where incomes are rising following strong economic performance in recent years.
- Female: Female smokers are concerned about the aesthetic impact of smoking, and seek gender-specific products with discrete odors and a ‘clean’ image. Non-combustible devices offer a way forward here.
- The Traditional Smoker: Retain focus on standard tobacco flavours and high-quality ingredients.
- The Occasional/Social Smoker: Legislation permitting, use flavours associated with indulgence and social occasions to target this group. Alcoholic cocktail flavours work well.
- The Novelty Smoker: Use novel ingredients and innovations in packaging to appeal to this group.
- The Premium Smoker: High-quality, premium ingredients carry appeal for this group. Customizable vaping hardware allows smokers to distinguish themselves.
- The Female Smoker: Concerned about the aesthetic impact of tobacco consumption, target this group with minty/floral flavors and discrete odors.
The report "Top Trends in Tobacco and Anti-Smoking Aids 2017" outlines the key consumer and innovation trends currently impacting the core categories in tobacco. These include NPD that aligns with consumer demand for customization or appeals to the experimental consumer. Additionally, this report helps to identify the top trends driving the tobacco sector and gains insight and inspiration for innovation.
Companies mentioned in this report: Natural American Spirit, Marlboro, Meridiano, Lucky Strike, Baisha, Liquid Designer Shake & Vape, Vype Pebble, Swisher Sweets, Vasco Da Gama, UltraBio, Avatar FX, Mademoiselle, Benson & Hedges, Gizeh.
Scope - There are five core smoking groups: traditional, occasional/social, novelty, premium, female.
- Tobacco flavor types are the most popular, appealing most to European and North American smokers, while in other regions consumers demonstrate a stronger preference for fruity and minty/floral tobacco flavors.
- Occasional/social smoking is more pronounced in the 18-24 and 25-34 age groups, while regular smoking increases with age.
- The nature of experience is changing. Encouraging smokers to share their experiences with others is vital to achieving steady sales growth.
- Consumers in the Asia-Pacific region are more than twice as likely as those in Latin America to view smoking as helping them to socialize with others.
Reasons to buy - Identify the top trends driving the tobacco sector.
- Gain insight into the key consumer segments that are most likely to be a key focus for innovation.
- Put innovative products into context by connecting them to specific consumer trends and needs.
- Gain insight and inspiration for innovation.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
The global cigar market was valued at USD 36,673.34 million in 2020 and is projected to register a CAGR of 11.54% during the forecast period of 2021-2026. According to numerous surveys, although the consumers intended to quit smoking due to concerns about elevated health risks if they contracted COVID-19, however, led to increased cigar...
The Global Tobacco Market size is expected to reach $1,066.6 billion by 2026, rising at a market growth of 3.6% CAGR during the forecast period. Tobacco is an economically significant agricultural crop which is grown across the world. India is one of the largest producers and exporters of tobacco after China and Brazil. Consumption of tobacco...
The global tobacco market reached a volume of 8.54 Million Tons in 2020. Tobacco products are prepared by curing the leaves of tobacco plant which is a part of the genus Nicotiana of the Solanaceae family. There are more than 70 species of tobacco known till now, however, N. tabacum remains the chief commercial crop. Tobacco contains a colourless...
2021 Tobacco Market - Size, Share, COVID Impact Analysis and Forecast to 2027 2021 Tobacco Market - Size, Share, COVID Impact Analysis and Forecast to 2027 – is comprehensive research with in-depth data and contemporary analysis of Tobacco Market at a global, regional and key country level, split by different sub-segments...
278 pages •
By Global Industry Analysts
• Apr 2021
- Urgent Need to End the Tobacco Epidemic Gives e-Cigarettes a $24.5 Billion Global Opportunity
- The global market for e-Cigarettes is expected to reach US$24.5 billion by the year 2027, trailing a post COVID-19 CAGR of 8.3% over the analysis period 2020 through 2027. Tobacco epidemic is the biggest public...
300 pages •
By The Business Research Company
• Jan 2021
Major companies in the smoking and other tobacco products market include Philip Morris International Inc; Imperial Tobacco; Altria Group Inc; British American Tobacco and Japan Tobacco Inc. The global smoking and other tobacco products market is expected to grow from $26.78 billion in 2020 to $27.67 billion in 2021 at a compound annual...
The global tobacco packaging market was worth US$ XX Billion in 2020. Tobacco belongs to the nightshade or Solanaceae plant family and is consumed for its high nicotine content. The tobacco packaging industry involves wrapping of dried tobacco leaves for products such as cigarettes, cigars, smokeless tobacco and raw...
400 pages •
By The Business Research Company
• Jan 2021
Major companies in the tobacco products market include Philip Morris International Inc.; Imperial Tobacco; Altria Group Inc; British American Tobacco and Japan Tobacco Inc. The global tobacco products market is expected to grow from $263.62 billion in 2020 to $272.1 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.2%. The...
Canada Smoking Tobacco, 2021
Canada Smoking Tobacco, 2021 is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Canadian Smoking Tobacco market.It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption.
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.