Premiumization in Travel and Tourism, 2021 Update - Thematic Research
Summary Luxury travel has historically been centered around the use of premium products and material possessions to create a luxury holiday. As the millennial generation becomes a larger percentage of the luxury traveler population, their preference for transformational experiences over material goods will change the premiumization industry.
This thematic research report takes an in-depth look into the theme of premiumization and its role within the travel sector today.This report analyzes key leaders in this theme, the industry in the after-effects of COVID-19, alongside key macroeconomic and premiumization-specific trends in the theme.
This thematic report dives deep into the industry, whilst giving case studies as real-time examples of how premiumization has impacted the travel industry, especially after COVID-19. Recommendations are then offered for the travel sector on how to adapt to and maximize return from this theme.
“The Oxford Dictionary definition of premiumization is ‘The action or process of attempting to make a brand or product appeal to consumers by emphasizing its superior quality and exclusivity’. Premiumization can occur at many points of the travel process, however each different traveler’s perception of premium and luxury will be different. This gives scope within the theme to attract a wide, and new range of travelers. The overall identity of luxury has changed massively over past decades, where premium travelers are now looking for new ways to premiumize their trip”
Key Highlights - Premiumization is linked with personalization, improving the service given in the travel and tourism space, something that is highly regarded by premium travelers.
- COVID-19 is the biggest macroeconomic trend to impact the theme in 2021. The effect it can have on the premiumization theme has the possibility be two-fold.
- Transformational travel is still at the forefront of the theme. With more millennial luxury travelers, the search for an experience and more meaningful travel is still present, and is even heightened amid COVID-19. This will allow for a future focus on health and wellness luxury tourism.
- Worldwide travel restrictions and lockdowns have caused occupancy rates to drop across the board, however luxury hotels have not responded by reducing prices to maintain brand and premium image.
- Examples of how some companies have ‘overdone’ the premium aspect and resulted in a loss, and the implications of this.
Scope - This thematic report provides an overview of the Premiumization role within the travel & tourism sector today and how it is important for continued revenue growth.
- The key trends within this theme are split into macroeconomic trends and general premiumization trends that will impact how the theme impacts the industry.
Includes several case studies that analyze the ways that travel companies have adapted to the theme.
- Our unique thematic analysis then dives deep into how other industry themes, such as personalization and ‘Big Data’ have aided the expansion of premiumization, and the impact of COVID-19 on this theme.
Reasons to Buy - Understand the current premiumization trends within the travel landscape today and how these will develop in the near future.
- Assess how companies are implementing premiumization into operations, and if they are not, why.
- Acknowledge both advantages and disadvantages of attracting a premium customer, and how it is important to remember the wider picture when doing so.
- Discover recommendations that will help attract the premium traveler and help to develop strategies in doing so.
- thematic research ecosystem is a single, integrated global research platform that provides an easy-to-use framework for tracking all themes across all companies in all sectors. It has a proven track record of identifying the important themes early, enabling companies to make the right investments ahead of the competition, and secure that all-important competitive advantage.
- All across the travel and tourism supply chain now have an opportunity to capitalize in the premiumization market and there are notable examples of this. Therefore, all should buy this report to fully understand how this theme will continue to be a key theme in the future travel landscape.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
Sharing Economy (Travel and Tourism) - Thematic Research
The travel industry has gone through a large amount of change since its inception, and the sharing economy has been one of the biggest disruptors in the industry in recent years. Consumers are becoming more willing to adopt alternative...
Room service: Industry revenue will likely increase as travel restrictions become more flexible Abstract Boutique Hotels The Boutique Hotels industry has outperformed the broader Hotels and Motels industry over the five years to 2019 thanks to increasing consumer demand for accommodations with unique...
Generation Hashtag Impact on Travel and Tourism - Thematic Research
Generation Hashtag cannot be put in to a box.The characteristics and preferences vary significantly from member to member of this cohort.
The varied nature of Generation Hashtag gives marketing departments a constant...
Far from home: Foreign markets are expected to detract from domestic investment Abstract Hotels & Motels in the US Despite being highly susceptible to changes in the global economic environment, the Hotels and Motels industry has experienced robust growth over the five years to 2019. Increases in travel...
Out of season: Prolonged closures and travel bans during the COVID-19 pandemic have slashed revenue Abstract Hotels in the UK The industry includes hotels that provide accommodation to UK residents and international guests. These establishments often also have other facilities, including restaurants,...
Tax holiday: Despite government support, firms are likely to have left the industry in 2020 Abstract Hotels in Ireland Hotels provide serviced accommodation with en-suite bathrooms in guest rooms. These establishments often have other facilities, including restaurants, recreational areas, conference...
Unaccommodating: The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly disrupted the industry’s performance Abstract Luxury Accommodation in Australia Industry operators provide luxury accommodation options for domestic and international guests. In addition to providing high-end accommodation, the industry also generates...
Founding fathers: The industry is anticipated to benefit from increasingly favorable economic conditions Abstract Historic Sites in the US Operators in the Historic Sites industry primarily preserve and exhibit sites, forts, buildings or communities that describe events or people of historical interest....
Kuala Lumpur - Comprehensive overview of the City, PEST Analysis and analysis of Key Industries including Technology, Tourism and Hospitality, Construction and Retail Summary “City Profile - Kuala Lumpur” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage...
Global Luxury Hotels Market to 2024 - Market Data and Insights on the Global Budget Hotels Industry
Luxury Hotels Market report provides in-depth analysis of the key market trends that are shaping the future of this segment and an analysis of the luxury accommodation market globally.Detailed...
Available Hotel Room
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.