Superconductors: Technologies and Global Markets
- January 2017 •
- 172 pages •
- Report ID: 96597
Use this report to:
- Analyze the developing market for superconducting applications, materials and other enabling technologies.
- Assess expected technological and market trends in the longer term.
- Evaluate superconducting technologies that are expected to influence the market through 2021.
- Describe key players in the emerging superconductivity industry.
- The global market for superconductivity technologies should reach $5.3 billion by 2021 from $3.4 billion in 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4%, from 2016 to 2021.
- The superconducting magnets market should reach $3.4 billion by 2021 from $3.3 billion in 2016 at a CAGR of 0.9%, from 2016 to 2021.
- The superconducting electrical equipment market should reach $1.7 billion by 2021 from $63.3 million in 2016 at a CAGR of 92.5%, from 2016 to 2021.
Superconductivity is a unique and powerful tool in scientific research that has led to important strides in healthcare such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Other superconducting technologies on the cusp of commercialization will increase the efficiency with which electricity is produced and used—and will indirectly benefit the environment.
In the future, superconducting technologies may be used to predict earthquakes, map the magnetic fields produced by the brain and produce ultrahigh-performance computers. These are only a few examples of the wide range of superconductivity technologies and applications analyzed in this report. This report is an updated version of an earlier BCC Research report published in 2014.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The overall goal of this report is to provide an up-to-date understanding of the developing market for superconducting applications, materials and other enabling technologies. Specific objectives include:
- Identifying superconducting applications with the greatest commercial potential in the near to medium term (2015 to 2021).
- Analyzing the key drivers and constraints that will shape the market for these superconducting applications as the basis for projecting demand over the next five years.
- Estimating current and future consumption of superconducting materials and other key enabling technologies.
- Identifying the companies that are best positioned to meet this demand because of their proprietary technologies, strategic alliances or other advantages.
This report is intended for marketing executives, entrepreneurs, investors, venture capitalists and other readers with a need to know where the superconductivity field is headed over the next five to 10 years. Other readers who should find the report particularly valuable include government officials associated with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and other national and state-level programs charged with advancing the development of the nanotechnology industry.
Although the report addresses specific superconductivity technologies and materials, it is generally nontechnical in nature and coverage. This analysis is less concerned with theory and jargon than with identifying the developments that work, assessing the amount of technologies the market is likely to purchase, and projecting the price of such technologies. Although the report is not written specifically for scientists and technologists, many of these professionals will be interested in its findings concerning the market for their work, including the availability of government and corporate research funding for different technologies and applications.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
The report addresses trends in superconductivity technology and the global market for superconductivity applications during the period from 2015 through 2021, including:
- Science, research and technology development.
- Electric utilities.
- Other applications. The study format includes the following major elements:
- Executive summary.
- Overview (i.e., definitions, brief history, superconductivity characteristics, market summary).
- Developments in superconducting technology that are expected to influence the market through 2021.
- Detailed market estimates and projections for each technology, application and end use during the period from 2015 to 2021.
- General assessment of expected technological and market trends in the longer term.
- Description of key players in the emerging superconductivity industry.
INFORMATION SOURCES AND METHODOLOGY
The findings and conclusions presented in this report are based on information gathered from primary sources within the industry, including vendors and users of superconductivity products. Interview data were combined with information gathered through an extensive review of secondary sources such as trade publications, trade association literature, company literature and online databases to produce the market projections contained in this report.
The base year for analysis and projection is 2015 and market projections were developed for 2016 to 2021. These projections are based on a combination of a consensus among the primary contacts and BCC Research’s understanding of the key market drivers and their impact from a historical and analytical perspective.
The analytical methodologies used to generate the market estimates are described in detail in the section titled “Detailed Market Projections.” The documentation is intended to enable the reader to evaluate the projections and, if desired, substitute alternative assumptions. All dollar projections presented in this report are in 2015 constant dollars unless otherwise noted.
Andrew McWilliams, the author of this report, is a partner in 43rd Parallel LLC, a Boston-based international technology and marketing consulting firm. He is the author of the previous edition of this report, as well as a number of other BCC Research market opportunity studies on advanced materials topics, including:
- AVM078A New Electronic Materials and Device Technologies: Global Markets.
- AVM025G Diamond, Diamond-Like and CBN Films and Coating Products.
- AVM015H High-Performance Ceramic Coatings: Markets and Technologies.
- AVM038F Advanced Structural Carbon Products: Fibers, Foams and Composites.
- AVM067D Metamaterials: Technologies and Global Markets.
- AVM064A Geosynthetics: Materials, Applications and Markets.
- AVM075D Graphene: Technologies, Applications, and Markets.
- EGY053C Advanced Materials and Devices for Renewable Energy: Global Markets.
- IAS029D Terahertz Radiation Systems: Technologies and Global Markets.
- EGY065C Enabling Technologies for the Smart Grid.
- NAN015H Advanced Ceramics and Nanoceramic Powders.
- NAN021G Global Markets for Nanocomposites, Nanoparticles, Nanoclays, and Nanotubes.