Sputtering Targets and Sputtered Films: Technology and Markets
- February 2017 •
- 201 pages •
- Report ID: 96624
Use this report to:
- Provide a technological and market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments.
- Estimate current global markets for sputtering targets and sputtered films by application, material type and region.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment and investigate emerging applications.
- Explore current industry players, including manufacturers, materials and fabrication equipment, technology developers and future market participants.
- The global market for sputtered films and sputtering targets should reach over $3.2 billion by 2021 from nearly $2.9 billion in 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.2%, from 2016 to 2021.
- The consumed sputtering target material market is expected to grow from 21.7 billion pounds in 2016 to 29.9 billion pounds in 2021 at a CAGR of 6.6% for the period 2016-2021.
- The global production of sputtered films is expected to grow from 1.7 billion square meters in 2016 to 2.4 billion square meters in 2021 at a CAGR of 7.1% for the period 2016-2021.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Sputtering is one of the most popular technologies for deposition of thin films. Although sputtering was first developed nearly two centuries ago, since World War II it has become increasingly important for the creation of innovative devices. For decades, sputtering has been the basic fabrication process for integrated circuits. It has allowed the semiconductor industry to keep pace with Moore’s Law and has created a reliable path for achieving device miniaturization in many industry sectors beyond electronics.
BCC Research has followed the market for sputtering targets for 15 years, reporting on key developments related to production methods, materials and applications for sputtering targets. During this period, the market has expanded at a healthy compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.3% for the period 2001 through 2016.
With this study, BCC Research continues its commitment to monitoring the market for sputtering targets, by providing an updated review of the most important advances in sputtering technology and target fabrication. In addition, a detailed overview of the current market for sputtering targets is offered together with an objective analysis of industry and technological trends, as well as prospects for future growth.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
- Provide an update on the most advanced sputtering methods and emerging processes.
- Provide an overview of the most common materials used for the fabrication of sputtering targets and identify new materials.
- Review the latest methods for fabricating sputtering targets.
- Highlight new technological developments in the fabrication of sputtering targets, while outlining technical issues.
- Review existing fields of application for sputtering technologies and investigate emerging applications.
- Estimate current global markets for sputtering targets and sputtered films by application, material type and region, with growth forecasts through 2021 for each market segment.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- Supply an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of sputtering targets, materials and fabrication equipment, technology developers and future market participants.
- Provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
- Determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
The global market for thin-film technologies (including equipment, materials and services) is estimated to be valued at over $70 billion in 2016, with growth expected to continue. Sputtering accounts for approximately one-quarter of this market.
For decades, sputtering was used primarily in electronics for fabrication of semiconductor devices. Over time, however, sputtering has found application within a broad range of fields such as optoelectronics, energy, mechanical/chemical, optical coatings, life sciences and others.
Currently, electronics remains one of the largest sectors, accounting for approximately one-third of the total sputtering target market. In the interim, other sectors have grown to represent a significant share of the market and, going forward, are expected to become the driving force for sustaining market growth.
The principal reason for doing this study is to present a current assessment of the sputtering target industry from both a technological and market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments.
There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of this market from a global standpoint. As use of these products expands and new fields of application emerge, information on the suppliers and developers of sputtering targets and their regional distribution becomes more valuable.
An equally important reason for undertaking this study is to provide technical insights into sputtering target manufacturing by:
- Providing a review of target types, their applications, and production methods.
- Identifying current technological trends.
- Providing an overview of the main global research and development (R&D) activities related to sputtering targets, resulting in the issuance of patents.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
- Manufacture, sell, and distribute sputtering targets.
- Fabricate thin-film devices or coated products.
- Offer sputtering deposition and coating services to the thin-film industry.
- Supply raw materials to manufacturers of sputtering target.
- Manufacture processing and characterization equipment (e.g., compaction presses, induction melters and analytical instruments) utilized by sputtering target manufacturers.
- Produce sputtering systems or related equipment utilized by thin-film producers.
- Provide technical and/or marketing services for the thin-film industry.
- Are planning to enter the sputtering industry as a supplier, manufacturer or end user.
Overall, this study applies to industry sectors such as electronics, optoelectronics, mechanical/chemical, energy, optical coatings, life sciences, sensors and instrumentation, and the general coating sector.
The study is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this study to be a good source of technical information regarding thin-film technology, materials, equipment and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the sputtering target industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report provides an updated review of sputtering technologies and a description of various types of sputtering targets and their fabrication methods; further, it identifies current and emerging applications for these technologies.
BCC Research delineates the current market status for sputtering targets, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The sputtering target market is analyzed based on the following segments: application, material, and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, the market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is divided into five sections.
In the first section (Chapter 3), an introduction to the topic and a historical review of the sputtering process are provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section, an overview of the latest technological developments related to sputtering technology is supplied and current and emerging applications for sputtering are also identified and grouped in segments (electronics, optoelectronics, energy, optical coatings, mechanical/chemical, life sciences, sensors and instrumentation and others).
The second part of the study (Chapter 4) summarizes typical sputtering target types, raw materials and applications, and production methods. Each of these three sections concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments and improvements since 2014, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for.
The third section (Chapter 5) entails a global market analysis of sputtering targets and sputtered films. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented by field of application, material type and region, with actual data referring to the years 2014 and 2015 and estimates for 2016. Projected sputtering target revenues and total sputtered film area are also supplied, with forecast CAGRs for the period 2016 through 2021.
Next, details of the global market analysis are covered. For each major application group or industry sector (specifically electronics, optoelectronics, mechanical/chemical, energy, optical coatings and life sciences and others), BCC Research provides information on production of sputtered films, consumption of sputtering targets and target revenues by material and region.
The analysis of the current sputtering target market is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, technological trends and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected sputtering target revenues and total sputtered film area within each sector, together with forecast CAGRs for the period 2016 through 2021.
In the fourth section of the study (Chapter 6), which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading manufacturers of sputtering targets, together with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these firms and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
The fifth and final section (Chapter 7) includes an analysis of recently issued U.S. patents, with a summary of patents related to sputtering target materials, types, fabrication methods and applications. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee and material type.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
To analyze the overall market and market segments, both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data.
The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC Research reports, professional journals, the author’s field experience and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by a thorough investigation of manufacturers of sputtering targets, raw material suppliers, producers of sputtering equipment and developers of new technologies, accounting for at least 90% of the global market. Data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources (including company executives, managers, engineers and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers and users of sputtering targets and related technologies and process equipment), representatives of academia and trade associations, and industry market analysts.
Additional data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission filings, websites, annual reports, industry directories, industry magazines and catalogs, government sources and other public sources.
Secondary sources of information include, but are not limited to:
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- European Patent Office.
- Company websites.
- Company annual reports.
- Thomas Register.
- Moody’s Directory.
- S & P Industry Survey.
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory.
- Foreign Chamber of Commerce directories.
- Foreign Stock Exchange listings.
- American Ceramic Society publications.
- American Chemical Society publications.
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and market information, relevant BCC Research reports and the author’s own in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the collected information.