Mobile Technologies: Global Markets
- January 2017 •
- 118 pages •
- Report ID: 1658944
Use this report to:
- Understand the underlying operating system and the way it shapes the global mobile applications market.
- Learn about the various software development kits offered by manufacturers to develop applications.
- Receive information about business models used in different market segments.
- The global market for mobile applications was valued at nearly $10.9 billion in 2015. This market is expected to increase from $12.2 billion in 2016 to nearly $24.0 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.4% for 2016-2021.
- The Android market segment is expected to grow from nearly $6.0 billion in 2016 to nearly $12.0 billion in 2021 at a CAGR of 14.8% from 2016 through 2021.
- The IOS market segment is expected to grow from nearly $5.8 billion in 2016 to $11.0 billion at a CAGR of 13.9% from 2016 through 2021.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
By 2020, there are expected to be 5.6 billion mobile subscribers and mobile technology will have penetrated 72% of the world’s population, according to the Global System for Mobile Communications Association (GSMA). Within that context, BCC Research estimates that mobile technology will create a marketplace for more than $23.9 billion in mobile applications.
This report is an update of the 2013 report focusing on mobile application space (BCC Report IFT071A). The report evaluates the current platform availability and the ecosystem. The report looks at the total available market for mobile applications and segments by categories. The report explores different business models followed by different industries and the value added by mobile applications. The report also looks at the latest trends in the enterprise space and how businesses are leveraging mobile applications to increase their bottom line.
The report also provides a description of the market ecosystem and explains the trends shaping the future. Key players in each category are also discussed, along with market share information. A forecast of the total market in each category by dollar, volume and region over the period of the next five years is included. The report also includes an analysis of patents filed in this marketplace by various companies.
REPORT SCOPE AND ORGANIZATION
This report segments mobile applications by the most popular operating systems in the market: Android, iOS and Windows. For each segment, the report provides estimated total market, number of applications, and average revenue per application.
The following is provided for each segment:
- Definition of technical details.
- Overall market description.
- Comparison with other segments.
- Growth forecast and market trends.
- Business models.
- Key players and market share.
The goal of the report is to provide readers with the following:
- Understanding of the underlying operating system and how it shapes the market.
- Knowledge of various software development kits offered by manufacturers to develop applications.
- Knowledge of business models used in different market segments.
- Understanding of the market potential for each segment and projections for the next five years.
Manufacturers, developers, distributors, investors and end users will all benefit from the insights provided in this report regarding the underlying technology, market forces, and trends that drive the mobile application industry. Specific groups who will benefit include:
- Mobile electronics industry insiders, including executives, managers, marketing professionals, and salespeople, who are looking to enhance their business knowledge by understanding more about the multimedia chipsets market.
- Product marketing and management professionals from the mobile market ecosystem who want to understand the intricacies of the market and position their products accordingly.
- Business and venture executives in the technology industry looking to invest in mobile technology companies.
- Finance and investment professionals looking to make investment decisions for mobile electronics companies.
The market forecasts were developed using a top down approach for the mobile applications market as a whole. Line items were then further cross-checked on a per segment basis to verify market size and subsegment growth. Finally, company financials were reviewed for the leading firms to further validate market size, segment strength and growth expectations. Market data and information for this report were obtained through numerous channels. Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this study.
Michael Sullivan is currently the Senior Editor for Information Technology at BCC Research. He is also an IT industry analyst with more than 20 years of experience investigating, studying and reporting on information technology development and applications. Previous reports include coverage of content delivery networks and zero net energy buildings.