Summary Online retailing in Japan will register healthy growth, on the back of rising internet penetration and the growing adoption of smart handheld devices. Demographics and changing consumer lifestyles compel retailers to enter into and expand their online presence in Japan. The recession and disaster squeezed Japanese disposable income and consumers are turning more and more price sensitive, seeking better pricing and convenience. A hike in consumption tax in 2014 and an expected tax hike in 2017 will lead Japanese to tighten their purse strings further. As a result, online retailers have started to attract consumers by providing low prices, free and quick delivery services, which is expected to supplement the growth in future.
Key Findings - Online retailing has high potential compared to conventional channels, and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.7% over the forecast period
- The aging population does however, provide an opportunity for retailers to improve their falling revenues and look for newer avenues of growth, as Japan's elderly have emerged as big spenders
- Consumers seek flexibility in payment when buying online, however credit/debit cards are the preferred payment methods among the shoppers
- Electrical and electronics will continue to lead with a share of 16.9% of the overall online market in 2019, and health and beauty is expected to be the fastest growing category, with a CAGR of 16.2% over 2014-2019
Synopsis “Consumer Attitudes and Online Retail Dynamics in Japan, 2014-2019” provides data for historic and forecast online retail sales, and also includes information on the business environment and country risk related to Japan's online retail environment. In addition, it analyses the key consumer trends influencing Japan's online retail industry.
What else does this report offer?
- It provides in-depth analysis of the latest trends in online consumer shopping, covering the factors driving online shopping, consumer insights, market dynamics (covering 26 product categories), and reviews of the latest best practice in online retail site design
- Market insights based on consumer trends, changing economic and demographic factors, and other macroeconomic factors
- Based on the latest data, the report not only provides details of the size and growth of this increasingly important channel, it also provides essential context on the penetration of online sales by product groups, how growth has developed over time, and key factors, with forecasts, that will drive this market in the future
Reasons To Buy - Improve market and strategic planning using highly granular, forward-looking market data across 26 categories under nine product groups that include: Apparel, Accessories, Luggage and Leather Goods, Books, News and Stationery, Electricals and Electronics, Food and Grocery, Health and Beauty, Furniture and Floor Coverings, Home and Garden Products, Music, Video and Entertainment Software, and Sports and Leisure Equipment
- Understand which products will be the major winners and losers in the online arena in the coming years
- Get an in-depth analysis of the latest trends in online retailing in Japan, covering the factors driving online spending across the categories
- Learn from best practice approaches outlined in the case studies of leading online retailers by examining their unique retailing attitudes and reviewing innovative retailers, which provides insights and ideas to remain competitive and profitable
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
Milk in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers liquid, powdered and flavoured cow's milk. It excludes condensed, evaporated, sour and cultured milk. Market size is based on retail and non-retail sales. Market size for Milk...
Cheese in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers total hard/extra hard, semi-hard, soft, spreadable/processed cheese. It excludes cottage cheese, fromage frais/quark/curd/paneer and cheese dips. Market size is based on retail...
Desserts in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This comprises all packaged frozen, chilled and ambient products which are RTE or need preparation. Most products will contain sugar and/or sweeteners. Market value and volume comprises sales through...
Fabric Care in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers laundry detergents, fabric conditioners and softeners and laundry aids. Market size comprises sales through all retail channels including direct to consumer and excludes sales...
Butter and Yellow fats in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers all butter, ghee and margarine and spread consumption including table and cooking. Market size comprises sales through all retail and non-retail sales. Market size...
Baby Food in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This comprises packaged dry and liquid products designed specifically for babies/infants. It includes: baby formula and growing up milk; other drinks, biscuits/rusks/snacks; cereals; fruit and...