Medical Devices: Technologies and Global Markets
- January 2017
- 316 pages
- BCC Research
Use this report to:
- Understand key market dynamics and the factors impacting the global medical device technologies market, including segments and subsegments.
- Assess market revenues of the global medical device technology industry by segment, region and products.
- Identify market trends, issues and factors impacting medical device technologies.
- Gain insight into major players and their corporate profile, analyzing their market shares, core competencies and strategies in the medical device technology market.
- The global market for medical device technologies reached $458.3 billion in 2015. The market should reach $483.5 billion in 2016 and $634.5 billion by 2021, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.6% from 2016 to 2021.
- The North America market for medical device technologies reached $168.1 billion in 2015. The market should reach $175.6 billion in 2016 and $216.1 billion by 2021, growing at a CAGR of 4.2% from 2016 to 2021.
- The Asia-Pacific market for medical device technologies reached $101.3 billion in 2015. The market should reach $108.9 billion in 2016 and $156.6 billion by 2021, growing at a CAGR of 7.1% from 2016 to 2021.
This report discusses the medical device technology industry in terms of major players’ market shares, market growth and size, and opportunities for different devices and regions. The report includes forecasts for market trends and revenue through 2021. Major players, innovative products and technologies, trends and market dynamics, competitive intelligence, and regional trends are well-researched and analyzed.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The goals and objectives of the study include:
- Defining and discussing the global medical device technologies market.
- Analyzing market structure, including segments and subsegments.
- Estimating market revenues of the global medical device technology industry by segment, region and products.
- Identifying market trends, issues and factors impacting medical device technologies.
- Studying various submarkets with respect to growth drivers and inhibitors of the medical device technology market.
- Explaining opportunities in the medical device technology market with respect to region and products.
- Profiling major players and analyzing their market shares, core competencies and strategies in the medical device technology market.
- Tracking alliances, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, new product developments, and research and development in the global medical device technology market.
A medical device is an instrument, apparatus, implant, in vitro reagent or similar device used to diagnose, prevent or treat disease or other conditions. Several medical device technologies enhance the functions of medical devices, including highly sophisticated scanners and technologically complicated implantable products, such as artificial cochlear devices, as well as the most basic laboratory equipment.
According to estimates, there are more than 500,000 medical technologies currently available in roughly 20,000 generic groups. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there are an estimated 1.5 million different medical devices, in more than 10,000 types of generic device groups available globally. The Global Medical Devices Nomenclature (GMDN) Agency has classified these into 16 product categories. The primary aim of any medical technology is to improve medical care, making it easier to improve the overall health of users or patients. With life spans increasing over the last few decades, the importance of better care and improved quality of life has become paramount.
SCOPE OF THE REPORT
This research report incorporates an in-depth analysis of the medical device technology market, including market estimations and trends through 2018. Major players, competitive intelligence, innovative technologies, market dynamics and regional opportunities are discussed in detail. The report also examines recent developments and product portfolios of the major players, along with their market shares. Patent analysis focuses on technological trends in recent years in regions such as the U.S., Europe and Japan. The report presents a market analysis and estimates the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for medical device technologies.
The scope of the report extends to only those medical device technologies that generate the most global revenue. Dental device technologies and some imaging devices used in dentistry overlap with other devices already covered under the imaging device technologies segments, so they have been excluded.
- Individuals and groups who would benefit from the content of this report include:
- Medical device manufacturers and new entrants.
- Equipment distributors, hospitals and other healthcare service providers.
- Various life sciences companies.
- Research institutes, associations and academicians.
A top-down approach was taken to estimate the market size of medical device technologies. Revenues from the medical device technology market were determined through primary and secondary research, including a study of the annual reports of listed market players. Secondary research was carried out with a general search of keywords through paid sources such as Factiva and One Source, and other publicly available websites, including company websites. Estimation of micro-markets was done through primary and secondary sources, and then validated through primary sources. Forecasts were based on the analysis of market trends, market dynamics and strategies of key players. Regional estimates were determined by using secondary sources verified through primary sources.
Vijay Laxmi has more than 20 years of experience in the healthcare domain. In addition to business research and consulting, she has conducted corporate briefings for top players in a wide range of market segments. She has worked with major market research firms and handled projects for various consultancies. Her market research studies include reports on:
- Various medical device markets.
- High-growth and niche markets in healthcare and life sciences.
- Home healthcare market.
- Medical tourism.