Summary The retail sector in Japan is expected to witness sluggish growth over the next few years, as several factors hold back growth prospects in the country. The retail sector grew by 1.2% in 2014 and is estimated to grow at a sluggish CAGR of 0.2% over the next five years. Consumers are increasingly looking for value and convenience. The increasing number of single households and an aging population are forcing retailers to adapt to these new demands from consumers.
Key Findings - Retailers continue to strategize on multi-channel convergences to make the shopping experience more convenient and easy
- Food and grocery captures the largest share of retail spending (56.3%), followed by home and garden products.
- Rising internet penetration (90.6%) and increasing accessibility through mobile devices will open doors to mobile shopping
- Value seeking consumers are driving the sales of private labels brands, and retailers are actively launching private label brands to drive growth.
- Increasing inbound tourists and the efforts of the tourism department are boosting the retail sales in the country
Synopsis “Retailing in Japan - Market Summary and Forecasts, 2014-2019” provides data for historic and forecast retail sales, and also includes information on the business environment and country risk related to the Japan retail environment. In addition, it analyses the key consumer trends influencing the Japan retail industry.
What else does this report offer?
- In-depth analysis of the latest trends in consumer shopping, covering the factors driving shopping, consumer insights, market dynamics (covering 26 product categories), and reviews of the latest best practice in online retail site design
- Market insights based on consumer trends, changing economic and demographic factors, technology innovations and other macroeconomic factors.
- Retail sales and fastest-growing product categories that includes Clothing; Footwear; Books, News and Stationery; Electrical and Electronics; Food and Grocery; Health and Beauty; Furniture and Floor Coverings; Home and Garden Products; Music, Video and Entertainment Software; Sports and Leisure Equipment; Jewelry, Watches and Accessories; Luggage and Leather Goods
- Qualitative and quantitative insights of changing retail dynamics across various channels
Reasons To Buy - Gain a comprehensive knowledge on 26 products across 12 product sectors in the Japan retail market and develop a competitive advantage around consumer behaviour trends from the start of your supply chain
- Explore novel opportunities that will allow you to align your product offerings and strategies to meet demand by analyzing the vital economic and population trends, key consumer and technology trends influencing the retail market
- Investigate current and forecast behaviour trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit
- Analyze the recommended actions to align your marketing strategies with the crucial trends influencing the consumer behavior
- Understand the fastest growing categories in the market with insights on performance of individual product categories, across key channels from 2009, with forecasts until 2019
- Analysis of key international and domestic players operating in the Japan retail market - including store counts and revenues that give you a competitive edge - identify opportunities to improve your market share
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
Milk in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers liquid, powdered and flavoured cow's milk. It excludes condensed, evaporated, sour and cultured milk. Market size is based on retail and non-retail sales. Market size for Milk...
Cheese in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers total hard/extra hard, semi-hard, soft, spreadable/processed cheese. It excludes cottage cheese, fromage frais/quark/curd/paneer and cheese dips. Market size is based on retail...
Desserts in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This comprises all packaged frozen, chilled and ambient products which are RTE or need preparation. Most products will contain sugar and/or sweeteners. Market value and volume comprises sales through...
Fabric Care in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers laundry detergents, fabric conditioners and softeners and laundry aids. Market size comprises sales through all retail channels including direct to consumer and excludes sales...
Butter and Yellow fats in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers all butter, ghee and margarine and spread consumption including table and cooking. Market size comprises sales through all retail and non-retail sales. Market size...
Baby Food in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This comprises packaged dry and liquid products designed specifically for babies/infants. It includes: baby formula and growing up milk; other drinks, biscuits/rusks/snacks; cereals; fruit and...