This IDC Retail Insights Perspective explores the influence of emerging 3rd Platform ICT developments around the Internet of Things (IoT), Bluetooth low energy (BLE) beacons, and near field communications (NFC) on effective business-to-consumer (B2C) engagement opportunities through to 2016.
Nowhere is the value of such developments currently the subject of greater debate than among retailers and manufacturers. In brief, retailers and brands expect the latest ICT trends to:
- Support the heterogeneous customer journey with consistent service and brand propositions
- Meet complex cross-channel consumer demand
- Increase operational visibility and accuracy
- Optimize buying and fulfillment processes
- Maximize service levels and margins
These goals make 3rd Platform technology developments and emerging vendor strategies in response to using IoT, beacons, and NFC of particular interest to retail companies that are looking beyond machine-to-machine (M2M) communications applications. Customer-facing and back-office investments in this space hold the potential benefits of greater operational efficiency and enhanced levels of customer engagement.