This IDC study provides a market analysis and forecast of the New Zealand (NZ) telecommunications market and combines commentary, research, and insights about the main NZ telecommunications operators (the supply side) with research and survey data on telecommunications trends in the consumer and business markets (the demand side). "Telcos and mobile network operators (MNOs) do not usually receive a lot of empathy from the NZ public, but the NZ telecommunications industry is starting to do it tough," says IDC Research Director, Peter Wise, IDC New Zealand.
IDC has titled this annual market analysis and forecast study for the NZ telecommunications sector, Running to Stand Still. "During the past year, the industry has invested more, well over NZ$1.5 billion in capital, including significant spend on NZ's future telecommunications infrastructure of Ultra Fast Broadband (UFB), Rural Broadband Initiative (RBI), and 4G. NZ is getting world-leading infrastructure as a result. However, at the same time, the industry is also faced with a shrinking market. IDC forecasts telecommunications revenues to shrink by 2.3% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) over the next five years. The past year has seen fierce competition in the broadband and mobile markets with customers receiving cheaper prices and/or a lot more value. We have seen unlimited data plans both in fixed and unlimited calling, increased data caps, and shared data plans in mobile. Competition is driving a lot more value into the products and the operators are fighting it out to retain or grow market share as NZ embraces the new technologies of 4G, VDSL and Fibre," says Wise. The study is intended to provide a comprehensive overview and reference guide to the NZ telecommunications market.
Included in the study are:
- Extensive quantitative data of the market including market sizing and market shares of the main players by revenues and connections
- Comprehensive analysis of the issues facing the NZ broadband and mobile markets
- Analysis of the consumer market based on survey data identifying technology trends (e.g., smartphone penetration) of consumers
- International comparisons -- NZ trends in fixed access, broadband, and mobile and how they compare with other countries in the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD)
- Analysis and profiles of the key players in the NZ telecommunications industry (retail service providers [RSPs] and local fibre companies [LFCs]) and commentary on the main telecommunications suppliers
- Review of the key 2013 and 2014 events such as the government's UFB and RBI
- IDC's forecast of revenue, connections, market share, and market size for the NZ telecommunications industry for 2014-2018