Summary With the new visa regulations adopted by South Africa, inbound arrivals decreased from 9.6 million in 2013 to 9.4 million in 2014. Moreover, the cost factor remained a problem for domestic travellers during the historic period. However, with the government's efforts to help promote tourism, domestic trips are expected to reach 33.4 million by 2019. The depreciation of the South African Rand against the US dollar of almost 12.1% from 2011 to 2012 showed its effect on international departures. However, following the improvement in currency since 2013, the number of trips is expected to rise from 5.5 million in 2014 to 6.5 million by 2019.
Key Findings - South Africa's travel and tourism sector performed well during the historic period (2009-2014), supported by a rise in international arrivals, which is the key driving force in the country's tourism sector. However, domestic tourist volumes fell at a CAGR of -1.45%, while domestic tourist expenditure increased at a CAGR of 8.51% as South Africa proved to be a costly destination for domestic tourists
- Outbound tourism was affected by the depreciation of the South African Rand during the historic period. However, following an improvement in the currency exchange rate in 2013, and relaxations in the visa regulations by foreign countries such as the UK, Canadean expects outbound trips to reach 6.5 million by 2019. Factors such as the expansion of airlines and tourism promotion activities are expected to contribute towards the growth of tourism in South Africa
- From May to December 2014, South Africa recorded a decline of almost 66,000 foreign tourists due to its amended visa rules. The new rules were implemented to prevent human trafficking. Providing a child's birth certificate along with their passport, and providing biometric data when applying for a visa were made mandatory
- In order to promote its tourism offerings and attract more tourists, South African Tourism launched an advertising campaign, 'MeetSouthAfrica', in 2015 across the major cities of India. Moreover, to expand the reach of the campaign's advertisement, large-format boards and bus shelters have been used. Through this campaign, South Africa's offerings include adventure, scenic beauty, and wildlife, all depicted with the use of one-liners in local languages
Synopsis Canadean's report - Travel and Tourism in South Africa to 2019” provides detailed information on the South African tourism sector, analyzing market data and providing insights. This report provides a better understanding of tourism flows, expenditure, and the airline, hotel, car rental, and travel intermediaries industries.
What else does this report offer?
- Historic and forecast tourist volumes covering the entire South African Travel andTourism sector
- Detailed analysis of tourist spending patterns in South Africa for various categories, such as accommodation, sightseeing entertainment, foodservice, transportation, retail, travel intermediaries, and others
- Analysis of trips by purpose and mode of transport, and expenditure across various categories including domestic, inbound, and outbound tourism, with analysis using similar metrics
- Analysis of the airline, hotel, car rental, and travel intermediaries industries by customer type - leisure and business travelers
Reasons To Buy - Make strategic business decisions using historic and forecast market data related to the South African Travel and Tourism sector
- Understand the demand-side dynamics within the industry to identify key market trends and growth opportunities
- Direct promotional efforts on the most promising markets by identifying the key source and destination countries
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
Travel Accommodation in South Africa by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers classified and unclassified hotels, motels, guest houses, BandBs, hostels and other transient accommodation for visitors. Market size is based on number of...
Casinos & Gaming in South Africa Summary Casinos & Gaming in South Africa industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2013-17, and forecast to 2022). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial...
Travel & Tourism Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide 2018-2022 Summary The Emerging 5 Travel & Tourism industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2013-17, and forecast to 2022). The profile also contains descriptions of the...
Travel & Tourism in South Africa Summary Travel & Tourism in South Africa industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2013-17, and forecast to 2022). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial...
Report Description The non residential construction industry in value terms increased at a CAGR of 12.6% during 2013-2017. The commercial building construction market in value terms is expected to record a CAGR of 13.1% over the forecast period. The industrial building construction market in value terms is expected to reach...
Report Description During the review period, value of building construction industry recorded a CAGR of 15.7%. CAGR during the forecast period of 2018 to 2022 is expected to be 16.4%. The residential construction industry in value terms increased at a CAGR of 17.6% during 2013-2017. The commercial building construction...