Summary Japan's beer market has been seeing an ongoing decline, with a -1.36% CAGR between 2006 and 2015 despite marketers' efforts such as creating a new segment, new genre beer, to offer cheaper prices. New genre beer achieved a fast take-off on launch in 2004. However, the new genre brew market has been driven by value-conscious consumers who were existing beer segment users, and the debut of the new segment did not lead to the growth of the total volume of the overall beer sector. The main beer users are getting older and shifting towards health-consciousness, while beer manufacturers have been struggling to create beer products that appeal to young consumers. Japan's beer market is a highly difficult place to achieve growth.
Key Findings - Sapporo Green Aroma is a new genre beer targeting women, with a botanical aroma and reduced carbohydrates. However, it failed to appeal to the target audience, and was withdrawn from store shelves only three months after launch.
- Japan's beer market, including the new genre beer segment, has matured, making it difficult for a new product with no significant unique selling point to succeed. Japan's beer players need to develop new flavors and styles for future survival.
Synopsis "Failure Case Study: Sapporo Green Aroma " is part of Canadean's Successes and Failures research and explores the failure of Sapporo Green Aroma new genre beer in Japan.
- WHAT? Understand the product concept and positioning of Sapporo Green Aroma new genre beer.
- WHY? Discover why Sapporo Green Aroma did not appeal to its target audience.
- TAKE-OUT: Learn from the failure of Sapporo Green Aroma, and discuss what elements beer marketers should look at in a shrinking market.
Reasons To Buy - Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
55 pages •
By Euromonitor International
• Oct 2018
Beer in Asia Pacific witnessed a small increase in volume sales in 2017. Prices of beer in the top two countries - China and Japan - shot up during 2017 leading to a decline in volume sales. Southeast Asian countries saw a significant increase in beer sales due to burgeoning young populations, changing preferences from spirits to beer, rapid...
Beer in Japan by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2018. This market covers all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beers. Market size is based on retail (off trade) and non-retail (on trade and food industry) sales. Market size for Beer in Japan is given in JPY...
27 pages •
By Euromonitor International
• Jun 2018
Japan’s beer market was impacted by two significant obstacles in 2017 – price increases due to an amendment to liquor tax and unusual weather, including record-breaking rain and low temperatures from summer to autumn when beer demand is traditionally highest. In June 2017, the government made an amendment to liquor tax to limit retailer discounting...
Stout Beer (Beer & Cider) Market in Japan - Outlook to 2021: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics Summary Stout Beer (Beer & Cider) Market in Japan - Outlook to 2021: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics is a broad level market review of Stout Beer market in Japan. A top-fermented...
Lager Beer (Beer & Cider) Market in Japan - Outlook to 2021: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics Summary Lager Beer (Beer & Cider) Market in Japan - Outlook to 2021: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics is a broad level market review of Lager Beer market in Japan. Bottom fermented...
Ale Beer (Beer & Cider) Market in Japan - Outlook to 2021: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics Summary Ale Beer (Beer & Cider) Market in Japan - Outlook to 2021: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics is a broad level market review of Ale Beer market in Japan. A top-fermented beer,...