Opportunity Analyzer: Opioid-Induced Constipation - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2019
- December 2015 •
- 166 pages •
- Report ID: 3664417
The Opioid-Induced Constipation (OIC) is a new and rapidly establishing market currently dominated by OTC laxatives set to undergo substantial growth between 2014 and 2019. The main drivers of growth will be an increase in the diagnosed OIC population. This is fuelled by a relaxation of regulations regarding opioid treatment, particularly in the chronic non-cancer pain population. As a result opioid use has risen sharply in the last 15 years. Concurrently, there has been a rapid increase in patients experiencing OIC, with approximately 40-50% of chronic opioid users reporting symptoms. Traditionally, constipation has been treated with laxatives based on empirical research. However, the efficacy of laxatives to treat OIC is relatively poor and only provides adequate relief for approximately 50% of patients. Prior to 2008, the OIC market was desolate, with no approved pharmaceutical (non-laxative) treatment for this condition. The products that have been approved in the past have come with heavy restrictions limiting their use for the majority of OIC sufferers. However, the OIC therapeutic market is set to enter an explosive period of growth over the five-year forecast period. This advance is catalyzed by a major shift in the OIC treatment algorithm with the entry of several highly- targeted, efficacious, orally-formulated drugs. The competitive landscape will continue to evolve over the forecast period.
Key Questions Answered
- The OIC market is marked by the presence of a number of unmet needs in current treatments. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the OIC market?
- The late-stage OIC pipeline is heavily congested with several drugs in the same class, PAMORAs. Will the late-stage drugs make a significant impact on the OIC market? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the highest CAGR, and why?
- The current OIC market is dominated by OTC laxatives. How will the advent of highly targeted orally-formulated prescription drugs change the drug treatment landscape for OIC? How will the drug treatment rate change over the next five years? What are the key drivers and barriers to this change?
- The main driver of the enormous expansion of the OIC market will be the dramatic increase in the number of reported OIC cases, which is attributable to the relaxation of opioid prescribing regulations.
- The second largest driver will be the launch of several highly anticipated, targeted, efficacious treatment options, with a congested and competitive late stage clinical pipeline.
- To gain approval it is essential for companies to demonstrate high efficacy while proving no reduction of analgesia or Major Cardiovascular Adverse Effects (MACE), by selecting appropriate clinical trial endpoints.
- In the future, companies will have to increase physician and patient awareness of non-laxative prescription options to treat constipation through extensive marketing campaigns in order to successfully compete for patient share.
- The number of pipeline agents being developed by small mid-pharma represents an opportunity for large pharma to enter this highly lucrative market through licensing and marketing partnerships.
- Overview of OIC, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized OIC therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2014 and forecast for seven years to 2019.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the OIC therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global OIC therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global OIC therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global OIC therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global OIC therapeutics market from 2014-2019.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.