Summary Plastic is cheap, lightweight, and has great barrier properties. But is it getting too popular? Plastic production has increased more than 20-fold since the 1960s, and plastic currently holds a 25% share of the global packaging market. The majority of plastic is not recycled after use, however, leaving behind waste that can last for centuries. Edible cutlery offers a way to address the plastic waste dilemma.
Key Findings - Edible cutlery made from food-grade ingredients can completely eliminate plastic waste as it is intended to be eaten after use.
- The amount of waste generated by disposable cutlery is stunning. In India alone, about 120 billion plastic utensils are used each year, generating huge amounts of waste.
- Edible cutlery that is not consumed after use can degrade in as little as 10 days, completely eliminating waste.
- Water use and carbon dioxide emissions for edible cutlery are a fraction of those for disposable utensils made from petroleum products.
Synopsis ForeSights: Edible Cutlery examines a small but put potentially game-changing solution to the problem of solid waste generated by disposable cutlery. Less than one third of plastic packaging is recycled globally; the rate may be much worse for black plastic utensils due to unique material sorting issues. Edible cutlery and eventually edible dishes and cups could help overcome problems with solid waste. This report was compiled using Canadean's ForeSights methodology, which aims to identify new concepts that could influence the market in fast-moving consumer goods.
Your key questions answered:
- How is edible cutlery superior to biodegradable cutlery, another type of cutlery marketed as a potential solution to plastic waste issues?
- Food ingredients like sorghum are being used to make edible cutlery. What qualities does sorghum possess that make it a favourite for edible cutlery?
- Why has India become a world leader in taking on the issue of plastic packaging waste?
- Conventional plastic never truly biodegrades. What happens to conventional plastic when it is not recycled, and is simply discarded?
- The fast-food industry is experimenting with edible packaging in India. What factor spurred the industry to experiment with edible packaging?
Reasons To Buy - Consider emerging opportunities and threats in the fast-moving consumer goods market and gain insight into potential future consumer behaviour.
- Identify interesting new and emerging concepts, products, and ideas on offer in retail, foodservice, online spaces, and beyond.
- Understand how new concepts and ideas fit into - or challenge - current consumer trends.
- Gain insight and inspiration for innovation programs and new product development.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
Unidirectional tapes (UD Tapes) market projected to grow at CAGR of 13.79% The unidirectional tapes (UD Tapes) market is estimated at USD 165.8 million in 2018 and is projected to reach USD 316.3 million by 2023, at a CAGR of 13.79% from 2018 to 2023. The growth of the market is driven by the increasing demand from end-use...
The fire resistant cable market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 3.2% from 2018 to 2023 The fire resistant cable market is projected to grow from USD 1.76 billion in 2018 to USD 2.06 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 3.2% from 2018 to 2023. The growth of the building & construction industry globally with increasing use of...
The Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.1% from 2018 to 2023. The purified terephthalic acid market is estimated to be USD 48.14 billion in 2018 and is projected to reach USD 61.78 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 5.1% from 2018 to 2023. The expansion of the textile industry contributes...
KEY FINDINGS Aspects like their lightweightedness, increasing demand in energy efficiency and their growing penetration in the furniture and automobiles industry are expected to drive growth in the global polyurethane market. Over the projected years of 2018-2026, the market is likely to prosper with nearly 6.50% CAGR. MARKET...
Report Synopsis Bioplastics industry is in emerging phase, though being in existence for about a decade or more. Bioplastics are used in an increasing number of markets, from packaging, catering products, consumer electronics, automotive, agriculture/horticulture and toys to textiles and a number of other segments. Bioplastics...
Executive Summary A comprehensive research report created through extensive primary research (inputs from industry experts, companies, stakeholders) and secondary research, the report aims to present the analysis of Global Thermal Insulation Market. The report analyses the market by Material Type (Glass Wool, Stone Wool,...