Summary Boosted by rises in the number of babies being born, consumption of baby food in Russia has risen by 51% since 2009. The market has continued to grow despite the economic crises that have hit Russia. Most parents have been willing to sacrifice their own spending in order to be able to maintain expenditure on baby food. The expansion of modern retailing and the reduction of regionality in distribution are making baby food more widely accessible. Value sales have been buoyant as a result of both rising consumption and an underlying trend for consumers to gradually trade up from low-priced to mid-priced goods, which particularly benefited the top brands of the leading domestic players.
Key Findings - Retail sales of baby food rose by 154% between 2009 and 2015, despite the economic crisis that had beset the country.
- All sectors showed strong growth between 2009 and 2015, with value sales more than doubling across the board. The market for baby meals is well developed and these account for 50% of volume, ahead of milks on 21%.
- Domestic production of dehydrated baby milks is limited, with major technological barriers to entry. By contrast, the domestic industry for cereals, meals, and juices is strong. Imports of milks and cereals rose strongly (+72%) between 2009 and 2014 but fell back sharply in 2015, accounting for 70% of import volume.
- Although there are many local and international competitors in the market, it is relatively concentrated, with the top five - three local companies and two multinationals - accounting for nearly four-fifths of the market in volume terms. The multinationals have a much stronger position in value terms, with Nestlé and Danone together holding 48% of value sales, but only 32% of volume.
Synopsis “Baby Food in Russia” is an analytical report by Canadean which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Russia market.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features and developments, segmentation, per capita trends and the various manufacturers and brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
Reasons To Buy - Evaluate important changes in consumer behaviour and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behaviour trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
Before 2017, milk formula was growing in both volume and value, since the number of new-born babies was going up each year – in particular, due to the set of state measures aimed at birth rate support. However, in 2017 this trend reversed. This reflected the demographics of the 1990s, as the number of women born in that period who are now...
Stand-up pouches saw stable unit volume growth throughout the review period in Russia. The packaging type is predominantly used in prepared baby food for purées. Such packaging is widely recognised as convenient and cheaper compared with the category’s traditional glass jars. Stand-up pouches are often advertised as suitable for children to...
Baby Food in Russia by Mintel Market Sizes provides you with annual year-end market size data, most recently updated in 2017. This comprises packaged dry and liquid products designed specifically for babies/infants. It includes: baby formula and growing up milk; other drinks, biscuits/rusks/snacks; cereals; fruit and vegetables;...
Summary The G8 Baby Food industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2011-15, and forecast to 2020). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial metrics and analysis of competitive pressures within...
Summary The BRIC Baby Food industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2011-15, and forecast to 2020). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial metrics and analysis of competitive pressures within...
Summary Baby Food in Russia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2011-15, and forecast to 2020). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial metrics and analysis of competitive pressures...