Summary The UK has a mature and highly developed retail banking sector, with high levels of ownership across all four key products. The market is also highly concentrated, with a handful of large providers dominating the industry. However, a growing number of entrants are seeking to challenge the incumbents. The growth of digital channels will also affect distribution and servicing.
Key Findings - The top six providers have a 70% share of the UK current account market, and consumers choose their providers on the basis of reputation, branch location, and personal recommendation. Satisfaction levels are higher for digital channels than for human channels: 60% of users are very satisfied with online banking, compared to just 37% for telephone banking.
- Good rates, reputation, and having an existing relationship are the main drivers of choice of savings provider, with rate being particularly important to older consumers. Holidays and protection against unexpected events are the biggest reasons for saving. Nationwide has the highest Net Promoter Score of the main providers.
- Borrowers are skeptical about non-traditional lenders, with over half stating they do want to use lenders that lack established reputations and only a minority agreeing that online lenders offer better rates or service.
Synopsis Verdict Financial's “Retail Banking Country Snapshot: UK” reviews the retail banking sector in the UK, with a particular focus on the current account, savings, mortgage, and personal loans markets. It includes both market-level data and insight from our Retail Banking Insight Survey.
The report offers insight into:
- How consumers in the UK take out and use their financial products, and how this has changed in recent years.
- Which providers dominate the current account, savings, mortgage, and loan markets, and what factors persuaded their customers to choose them.
- The extent to which consumers are using online and mobile channels to research, take out, and use their financial products.
Reasons To Buy - Future proof your strategy with market sizing, forecasts, and analysis of key developments currently affecting the UK retail banking sector.
- Target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behaviors and attitudes, with detailed analysis from our proprietary insight.
- Learn about the impact new entrants and distribution channels will have on the market.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
COVID-19 crunch: Higher unemployment and falling housing transfers constrain growth Abstract Credit Agencies in Australia The industry provides independent opinions about the creditworthiness of companies, individuals, securities or financial obligations. A credit bureau (or consumer credit reporting...
Deserving credit: Increased outsourcing to industry firms has driven revenue growth Abstract Credit Reporting and Debt Collection Services in New Zealand Industry operators primarily compile information on an individual or business’s credit or employment history, and a vehicle’s legal status. Firms...
Fintech Profile: Habito Summary Hey Habito is a digital mortgage broker in the UK. The company provides online mortgage and remortgage broking services through its robo-advisory platform called Habito. Scope The report provides information and insights into Habito, including...
The March 4th general election produced a severely fragmented parliament. None of the three main blocs-the centre left, led by the Partito Democratico (PD); the centre right comprising Forza Italia (FI), the populist, Eurosceptic Lega and the right-wing Fratelli d'Italia; and the anti-establishment Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)-won...
The formation of a new centre-right ruling coalition in May 2017 ushered in a period of greater calm. The new government is led, once again, by Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (CEDB), and it also includes United Patriots (UP), comprising the nationalist Patriotic Front (PF) and the ultra-nationalist Ataka (Attack)...
Project Synopsis: Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organization to sustain its competitive advantage. Project Description: Datamonitors' Irish Bank...
Rating support: Low interest rates have boosted consumer lending, somewhat mitigating losses Abstract Credit Bureaus & Rating Agencies in the UKCredit bureaus provide data and information used to assess the creditworthiness of consumers, individuals and businesses owned by a sole proprietor (where there...
Outlook for 2017-21 We still expect the president, Uhuru Kenyatta, to win a second and final five-year term, on August 8th. The opposition will provide a stiff challenge, especially after the formation of a new party, the National Super Alliance.Security risk will remain a serious challenge, with...
This profile on DL&A includes a detailed coverage of their banking technology systems, focusing on back office systems, including but not limited to its origins and evolution, functionality, technology, scalability, extensive user lists. It also looks at the delivery track-record of the supplier based on direct input from users, the strengths...
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.