Telco digital transformation: Lessons from the world’s most powerful digital companies
- January 2017 •
- 60 pages •
- Report ID: 4607319 •
- Format: PDF
Digital ecosystem is being shaped by advances in broadband and cloud computing technology, coupled with the rising influence of mobility and a new kind of customer empowerment. Cloud computing technology is driving business digitalization by enabling faster service creation and delivery. Advances in big data are empowering players to make real-time decisions about products, pricing and operations.
Globally, mobile continues to generate growth and innovation, with video being the main driver of data consumption. The Internet has driven consumers to embrace a culture of empowerment where mobile is first, always-on is expected and collective content exchange is the new universal social currency.
Global leaders Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple have sparked a shift in the value of technology, from provision to enablement. The irreversible value shift stems from their ability to leverage the power of digital computing to invent new and better ways of doing things. These companies recognize that technologies that empower ecosystem participants to play a central role in their own destiny stand to provide the most value for their business in the long-term. Technology thus becomes a vehicle, and the focus becomes engaging users in innovative collaboration to monetize investments.
On the same time, the digital technology has unleashed a wide range of opportunities in media, content, applications and storage. Telcos are faced with the need to come up with strategies to transform and unleash the new growth engines. Owing to the complexity of their core business, telco digital transformation is an intricate process that entails major changes in three areas: making the internal organization agile and efficient, driving constant innovation and unleashing new revenue streams.
The report “Telco digital transformation: Lessons from the world’s most powerful digital companies” examines effective strategies for telcos to capitalize on the explosive growth in the consumption of digital services.
- Examines best practices of four of the world’s leading companies to help telecom executives develop effective growth strategies, make informed strategic business decisions and optimize return on investment.
- Provides valuable insights about effective corporate values, innovation programs, organizational strategies and revenue models that can help service providers transform their operational models and profit from the digital opportunity.
- Helps to identify key lessons in digital prowess from major brands including Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon that have led the value shift from technology provision to enablement.
- Analysis of telco strategies to transform their internal operations, coming up with new technology use cases and exploring new service and revenue models.
Companies mentioned in this report: Akamai Technologies, Alcatel-Lucent, Alibaba, Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Amazon Web Services, AOL (Verizon), AppAnnie, Appcoach, Apple, Ascenta(Facebook), AT&T, Baidu, Best Tone, BMW, Chaordix, China Telecom, China Unicom, Chinese All, Cisco, CIRP, City of Marseille, DesignCrowd, Deutsche Telekom, DirectTV (AT&T), Double Helix (Amazon), Emerson, Ericsson, Facebook, General Electric, General Motors, Georgia Tech University, Google, Groupama Banque, Groupon, Huffington Post, Hughes Telematics (Verizon), Indiegogo, Instagram (Facebook), Kiva Systems (Amazon), Linkedin, Microsoft, NBA, Oculus (Facebook), Onstar (GM), Orange, Pebbles, Phoenix Publishing, Rockwell Automation, Safeway, Sensity Systems, Singtel, Skype (Microsoft), Starbucks, Sony, TechCrunch, Telefónica, Tencent, Time Warner, Twitch (Amazon), Twitter, Udacity, University of Notre Dame, Verizon, Visa, Warner Brothers, WeChat, Xinhuanet, Yahoo (Verizon)
- The world’s leaders in market capitalization show us how disruptive digital strategies can produce remarGlobalData growth opportunities for the business. Apple and Google taught us how to pioneer revolutionary business models. Amazon showed us how to masterfully virtualize a brick-and-mortar industry, and Facebook transformed the definition of content services, putting the user as the central author.
- Telecom service providers know first-hand the impact of the digital revolt, as SMS and traditional voice services become increasingly replaced by IP-based voice and messaging apps such as Skype and WhatsApp. Telcos have been catalysts of the transformation of mobile devices from communications tools to life management hubs. Yet, to thrive in the digital economy requires far more than technology or product prowess-- it calls for entirely novel service models.
- To secure a profitable slice of the new digital domain, telecom service providers need to transform how they deliver services, content and apps. Telco digital transformation begins with a digital corporate culture to drive the discovery of new innovation engines, disruptive business models and digitally-smart customer relationship platforms. Telecom companies that can turn the challenge of digital transformation into profitable opportunities will prevail.
The “Telco digital transformation: Lessons from the world’s most powerful digital companies” report analyzes the growth drivers of digital services, strategies of leading digital companies, as well as case studies on the digital transformation of four major telecom services providers. Data and insights are derived through a mix of desk-based secondary research and qualitative primary research.
The report is structured as follows -
Section 1: Market context - digital services growth drivers and trends. This section provides a high-level overview of the growth drivers of digital services and the impact of the rise of digital brands on the traditional telecom service provider model.
Section 2: Lessons in digital prowess - GAFA strategies. Here we examine the market approach and strategies of four leading digital companies - Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple - with a special focus on their key business values and success factors.
Section 3: Case studies - Telco approaches to digital transformation. We continue with a review of the strategies and programs that leading telecom companies ATandT, China Telecom, Orange and Verizon are putting in place to create profitable growth amidst the business disruption brought about by successful digital service providers. .
Section 4: Key findings and recommendations. We conclude the report with a set of key findings on the core values and success factors of digital leaders, and strategy recommendations for telecom services providers.
Reasons To Buy
“Telco digital transformation: Lessons from the world’s most powerful digital companies” examines best practices of four of the world’s leading companies to help telecom executives develop effective growth strategies, make informed strategic business decisions and optimize return on investment.
The report provides valuable insights about effective corporate values, innovation programs, organizational strategies and revenue models that can help service providers transform their operational models and profit from the digital opportunity.
The report’s case studies provide real examples of market approaches and strategies being employed by leading telcos to build revenue opportunities in the digital age, related to their internal organizations, their ecosystem development and revenue creation.