Nanowire-based Devices: Technologies and Global Markets
- November 2017 •
- 140 pages •
- Report ID: 5200530
• The global market for nanowire-based devices was valued at $1.2 billion in 2016. This market will grow from nearly $1.6 billion in 2017 to around $6.0 billion by 2022 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 30.6% for the period of 2017-2022.
• The optoelectronic devices market will grow from $929 million in 2017 to $3.4 billion by 2022 with a CAGR of 29.9%.
• The energy devices market will grow from $389 million in 2017 to $1.4 billion by 2022 with a CAGR of 29.2%.
Chapter 1: Introduction
Study Goals and Objectives
Although the first elongated crystals, or whiskers, in nature were observed in the 1500s, synthetic nanowires were produced only after World War II, and utilization of nanowires in commercial products began even later, during the last decade of the 20th century.
Since then nanowires have been introduced in the manufacturing process of various devices that find applications in fields such as electronics, optoelectronics, energy, sensing, and healthcare.
The main goal of this report is to provide a current and detailed assessment of the market for nanowirebased devices, including an objective analysis of industry and technological trends, and prospects for future growth. In addition, an updated review of the most important advancements in nanowire fabrication technology is offered, with a focus on those processes that will contribute to market growth during the next five years.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
• Provide an updated review of the various types of nanowire-based devices within their field of application.
• Discuss the most advanced processes and materials employed for production of nanowires.
• Highlight new technological developments during the past three years, while outlining current technical issues.
• Review existing fields of application for nanowire-based devices and examine emerging applications.
• Estimate global markets for nanowire-based devices by device category, material, and region, with growth forecasts through 2022 for each market segment.
• Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
• Offer an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of nanowires and nanowire-based devices, equipment suppliers, technology developers, and future market participants.
• Provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
• Determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
Reasons for Doing This Study
The global nanotechnology industry is currently valued at $35.2 billion and is expanding at a very healthy rate with a projected CAGR of nearly 20% through 2022. Nanostructured materials represent almost 73% of this market. Nanostructured materials include nanomaterials, nanointermediates, surface nanostructures, nanocomposites, and nanoporous materials. Among the nanomaterials, nanowires have been receiving increasing attention since the 1990s for production of devices that are not deemed possible otherwise.
A variety of processes are being adapted or specifically developed for fabrication of nanowire-based devices, with the purpose of manufacturing products with enhanced or totally new electrical, optical, sensing and energy storage properties. These products are also expected to be smaller, thinner, flexible, and lower-cost compared to existing technologies. Examples of devices based on nanowires are displays, light-emitting diodes, solar cells, batteries, and circuit devices.
The principal reason for doing this study is to present a current assessment of nanowire-based devices from both a technological and market point of view, and to outline future trends and key developments.
There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of the nanowire industry from a global standpoint. As the use of nanowires expands and new fields of application emerge, information on the suppliers and developers of nanowire-based products and their regional distribution becomes more valuable.
An equally important reason for undertaking this study is to provide technical insights into the manufacturing of nanowire-based devices by:
• Providing a review of nanowire materials, production methods, and applications.
• Identifying current technological trends.
• Providing an overview of the main global R&D activities related to nanowire-based devices, resulting in the issuance of patents.
• Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
• Manufacture, sell, and distribute nanowires and nanowire-based devices.
• Produce inks, films, coatings and other intermediates for fabrication of nanowire-based devices.
• Manufacture processing and characterization equipment utilized by producers of nanowire- based devices.
• Fabricate and supply electronic, optoelectronic, energy, sensors, and medical devices.
• Provide technical and/or marketing services for the nanotechnology industry.
• Are planning to enter the nanotechnology and nanowire industry as a supplier, manufacturer, service provider, or end-user.
Overall, this study applies to industry sectors such as electronics, optoelectronics, energy, sensors, and medical.
The study is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industry sectors. Universities and research facilities may also find this study to be a good source of technical information regarding nanowire technology, materials, and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D
activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers, and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the nanowire industry.
Scope of Report
This report provides an updated review of various types of nanowire-based devices and their fabrication processes, and identifies current and emerging applications for these products.
BCC Research delineates the current market status for nanowire-based devices, defines trends, and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The nanowire-based device market is analyzed based on the following segments: device category, material, and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, the market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is divided into five sections.
In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of nanowire-based devices are provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section, current and emerging applications for nanowire-based devices are also identified and grouped according to five main categories (electronics, optoelectronics, energy, medical, and sensors and actuators).
The second section provides a technological review of nanowire-based devices. This section offers a revised and detailed description of fabrication processes for nanowire-based devices; typical materials used to produce nanowires; technological trends in device fabrication; and new and emerging fabrication methods. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2015, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section entails a global market analysis for nanowire-based devices. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (device category, material, and region), with actual data referring to the years 2015 and 2016, and estimates for 2017.
The analysis of current revenues for nanowire-based devices is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, and industry and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for nanowire-based devices within each segment, together with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for the period 2017 through 2022.
In the fourth section of the study, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading suppliers of nanowires and nanowire-based devices, together with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these firms and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
The fifth and final section includes an analysis of recently issued U.S. patents, with a summary of patents related to nanowire-based devices, materials, fabrication methods, and applications. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, device type, and material type.
Methodology and Information Sources
To analyze the overall market and market segments, both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data.
The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC Research reports, professional journals, the author’s field experience, and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by a thorough investigation of manufacturers of nanowires and nanowire-based devices, providers of equipment, materials, and services for their fabrication, users of nanowire-based devices, and developers of new technologies, accounting for at least 90% of the global market. Data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources, including company executives, managers, engineers and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers, and users of nanowire-based devices and related technologies; representatives of academia and trade associations; and industry market analysts.
Additional data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, websites, annual reports, industry directories, industry magazines and catalogs, government sources, and other public sources.
Secondary sources of information include, but are not limited to:
• U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings.
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
• European Patent Office.
• Company websites.
• Company annual reports.
• Thomas Register.
• Moody’s Directory.
• S & P Industry Survey.
• Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory.
• Foreign Chamber of Commerce Directories.
• Foreign Stock Exchange Listings.
• American Ceramic Society Publications.
• American Chemical Society Publications.
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and market information, relevant BCC Research reports, and the author’s own in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the collected information.
In this report, the market for nanowire-based devices is analyzed based on the following categories:
Nanowire-based Devices, by Category
Sensors and actuators
Nanowire-based Devices, by Material
Metal and alloys
Nanowire-based Devices, by Region
Rest of the World
Chapter 2: Summary and Highlights
Customarily, nanowires are considered to be a type of nanofiber. Nanofibers are defined as cylindrical structures having a diameter below 1,000 nm and an aspect ratio (the ratio between length and width) greater than 50, whereas nanowires have a diameter measuring 100 nm or below and an aspect ratio greater than 1,000. Due to their morphology, nanowires have a very high surface area, are flexible and, when they their diameter reaches 10 nm or below, exhibit the quantum confinement effect. Nanowires are gaining increasing interest for a variety of new applications that take advantage of their shape, surface area, and unique characteristics.
Nanowires are available from a range of materials, such as pure elements, metals, alloys, ceramics, polymers, or semiconductors. BCC Research has identified five main groups of devices that are being produced from nanowires: electronic, optoelectronic, energy, medical, and sensing devices.
This study provides an updated and comprehensive description of nanowire-based devices as well as an overview of their fabrication processes and applications, outlining current technical issues and the latest technological developments related to the manufacturing of these products. It also offers a detailed market analysis for nanowire-based devices by segment (device category, material, and region), describing technical aspects and trends that will affect future growth of this market.
As shown in the Summary Table, the global market for nanowire-based devices increased from $953 million in 2015 to $1.2 billion in 2016 and is estimated to reach nearly $1.6 billion by the end of 2017, corresponding to a rapid compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 28.2% during the two-year period.
Optoelectronic devices currently account for the largest share of the market at an estimated REDACTED of the total in 2017, corresponding to REDACTED million in sales. Within this segment, nanowire-based devicesare primarily comprised of displays, light-emitting diodes, and lasers.
The next-largest category of products is energy devices with projected revenues of REDACTED million in 2017 (or REDACTED of the total). Energy devices consist mainly of solar cells and batteries. Sensors and actuatorsalso represent a relevant share of the market, at REDACTED of the total in 2017, whereas the remaining applications combined (i.e., electronic and medical devices) account for a REDACTED of the total.
Demand for nanowire-based devices is projected to continue growing at a robust pace during the next five years, due to a variety of factors, including the following:
• Increasing penetration of nanowires in the fabrication of displays, solar cells and batteries.
• Healthy growth of flexible, and stretchable devices, including sensors, displays, and solar cells.
• Launch of new generations of transistors based on nanowire arrays.
• Development of new and advanced materials and fabrication processes for nanowires that allow for high-throughput manufacturing of nanowires with low production costs.
• Rapidly rising levels of related R&D activities.
As a result, the total market for nanowire-based devices is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 30.6% from 2017 to 2022, reaching global revenues of nearly $6.0 billion by 2022.