Summary Global Foodservice industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: industry size (value and volume 2016-20, and forecast to 2025). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial metrics and analysis of competitive pressures within the industry.
Key Highlights - Foodservice is defined as the value of all food and drink, including on-trade drinks not drunk with food, for immediate consumption on the premises or in designated eating areas shared with other foodservice operators, or in the case of takeaway transactions, freshly prepared food for immediate consumption. Foodservice is restricted to the sale of food and drink in specific foodservice channels defined below and excludes vending machines.
- The food service industry is valued according to total sales of all food and drink (soft and alcoholic) in or through accommodation outlets, pubs, clubs, and bars, full service restaurants, quick service restaurants and fast food, and other. The accommodation segment includes food and drinks sales in bed and breakfasts, guest houses, holiday parks, hostels, and hotels and motels. The pub, club and bar segment includes food and drink sales at nightclubs, private member and social clubs, and pubs and bars. The other segment includes food and drink sales in leisure venues, such as visitor attractions; mobile operators, such as vans and other mobile operators; retailers, such as bakeries, convenience stores, delicatessens, department stores, garden centers, service station forecourts, supermarkets and hypermarkets, and other retail sales.
- Market volume is defined as the total number of transactions.
- Covid-19: Figures presented in this report are calculated applying the "middle path" scenario - this is based on the current situation in countries where the pandemic burst first, such as China, whereby announcements made by governments stated that the abnormal situation may last up to six months.
- The assumption has been made that after this time the global economy will gradually go back to the levels recorded before the pandemic by the end of 2020. It is also assumed that there is no widespread economic crisis as seen in 2008 due to announced government payouts around the world.
- During the preparation of this report in September 2020, the economic implications of global lockdowns are still very difficult to predict as there is no indication how long the pandemic could last, the number of sectors greatly impacted due to closures, nor the scale of the governmental aid involved.
- The global foodservice industry is forecast to generate total revenues of $2,834.4bn in 2020, representing a compound annual rate of change (CARC) of -0.9% between 2016 and 2020.
- Industry transaction volume is forecast to increase with a CAGR of 1.1% between 2016 and 2020, to reach a total of 472 billion transactions in 2020.
- The US industry is the largest globally; it is expected to account for 16.8% of its total value in 2020. It also dominates the North American region and is expected to account for 81.2% of the region’s value in 2020.
Scope - Save time carrying out entry-level research by identifying the size, growth, major segments, and leading players in the global foodservice industry
- Use the Five Forces analysis to determine the competitive intensity and therefore attractiveness of the global foodservice industry
- Leading company profiles reveal details of key foodservice industry players’ global operations and financial performance
- Add weight to presentations and pitches by understanding the future growth prospects of the global foodservice industry with five year forecasts by both value and volume
Reasons to Buy - What was the size of the global foodservice industry by value in 2020?
- What will be the size of the global foodservice industry in 2025?
- What factors are affecting the strength of competition in the global foodservice industry?
- How has the industry performed over the last five years?
- What are the main segments that make up the global foodservice industry?
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
The Saudi Arabia Full-Service Restaurants Market is projected to register a CAGR of 13.14% during the study period (2020-2025). - The country’s consumers, including the high number of expats and tourists, are tilted toward western-style casual dining, especially the European and US cuisines. Consequently, the American casual dining...
Foodservice Global Group of Eight (G8) Industry Guide 2016-2025
The G8 Foodservice industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: industry size (value and volume 2016-20, and forecast to 2025). The profile also contains descriptions of the...
Foodservice BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) Industry Guide 2016-2025
The BRIC Foodservice industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: industry size (value and volume 2016-20, and forecast to 2025). The profile also contains descriptions...
Foodservice North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide 2016-2025
The NAFTA Foodservice industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: industry size (value and volume 2016-20, and forecast to 2025). The profile also contains descriptions of the...
On the app: A lack of options for eating out and consumers staying at home is boosting demand Abstract Online Food Ordering & Delivery Platforms in the UK Industry players facilitate meal deliveries by operating online food ordering and delivery platforms. These platforms connect users with food outlets...
On the go: an improving domestic economy will boost industry revenue Abstract Fast Food Restaurants in the US Over the five years to 2019, the Fast Food Restaurants industry has grappled with consumer preferences shifting away from unhealthy foods as well as a saturated food service landscape that has...
Dough rising: A slowdown in downstream demand is expected to constrain revenue growth to a degree Abstract Baking Mix & Prepared Food Manufacturing in Canada The Baking Mix and Prepared Food Manufacturing industry in Canada has experienced strong revenue growth over the five years to 2019. An improving...
Hungry for change: Restrictions on on-site consumption have limited demand for food-service contractors Abstract Food-Service Contractors in the UK Businesses in this industry prepare food for clients on a contract basis. Contracts cover the time period of the service, prices and broad menu selections. This...
Order up: Consumers will likely increase spending at restaurants as the economy improves Abstract Chain Restaurants in the US The Chain Restaurants industry has experienced steady growth over the five years to 2019. As per capita disposable income increased and unemployment declined, the Consumer Confidence...
No service: The closure of restaurants due to COVID-19 is expected to result in revenue falling in the current year Abstract Full-Service Restaurants in the UK This industry is composed of sit-down restaurants where customers are served while seated or serve themselves at a kiosk. This industry includes...
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.