Summary "Global Mine-Site Technology Adoption Survey, 2020” analyses the results of interviews with key personnel at over 150 operating mines across the globe. The survey examines trends in uptake of 13 technologies at the mine site, spanning mine management software, predictive maintenance, drones, autonomous vehicles, collision avoidance, wearables, remote control vehicles and more. The report also identifies intentions to invest in the next two years, and compares results by region, mine type and company type.
Key Highlights - Technology adoption is continuing at a pace in the mining sector, with the COVID-19 pandemic also serving to accelerate investment in certain areas such as communications systems for remote working.
- Compared with the 2018 study we have seen an increase in the progress of investment in areas such as drones in particular, as well as safety-related technologies such as collision avoidance and fatigue detection, and also in autonomous vehicles.
- In terms of the degree to which the respondents’ mines had invested in new technologies, the most widely adopted of those investigated were mine planning software, mine management software, mine communication systems and predictive maintenance. This is similar to previous surveys, and there were no significant changes in terms of the rankings of the technologies when it came to the levels of investment.
- Expectations of investment over the next two years were highest for predictive maintenance for both equipment and plant, mine communication systems and remote control vehicles, as miners increasingly look to manage operations remotely.
- Contrasting the majors, such as AngloGold Ashanti, Rio Tinto and Newcrest, versus the non-majors, the former were more likely to have invested in these technologies compared to the smaller miners. However, the gap has been narrowing over time and, whilst the majors are still marginally ahead in terms of the degree of investment in most areas, a more significant share of non-majors are planning investments, which will see the gap closed further.
- Australasian mines had, on average, the highest penetration of technologies, especially drones and mine planning software. Together with the Americas they had the highest expectations overall in terms of investment across all technologies.
- Surface mines had greater levels of investment in drones, communication systems and software, while underground mines had invested more in remote control vehicles and battery-powered vehicles, which are seeing rising investment as a means to reduce ventilation costs, amongst other benefits, in underground mining.
Scope - The survey was conducted in November and December 2020, and included only operating mine sites.
- Respondents included mine managers, general managers and mine-site IT managers, and interviews were conducted via the telephone or via surveys emailed to qualified individuals.
- A total of 158 responses were received from separate mine sites, giving a confidence interval (margin of error) of 7.7% with a 95% confidence level.
- Some 47% of responses were from surface-only mines; 27% from underground-only, and 26% from individuals where the mines had both surface and underground operations. Only one response was accepted per mine.
- The split between majors and mid-tier miners or producing juniors was 62% to 38%, respectively.
Reasons to Buy - Assess the current adoption rates for each of 13 key technologies
- Compare adoption by mine type, region and company type
- Assess the potential for future investment by technology, both new investment and future investment.
- Analyse potential investment rates by region, mine type and company type
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
224 pages •
By Asia Market Information & Development Company
• Aug 2021
China’s demand for Shocks and Struts has grown at a fast pace in the past decade. In the next decade, both production and demand will continue to grow. The Chinese economy maintains a high speed growth which has been stimulated by the consecutive increases of industrial output, imports & exports, consumer consumption...
The global NVH testing market size is estimated to grow from USD 1.9 billion in 2021 to USD 2.5 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 5.5%. The market has a promising growth potential due to growing adoption of NVH testing solutions especially in automotive & transportation and power & energy verticals along with aerospace & defense and industrial...
The global automotive thermal system market is projected to grow from USD 40.9 billion in 2021 to USD 49.1 billion in 202, at a CAGR of 3.7%. The impact of COVID-19 can be witnessed on vehicle production, causing a downfall of 17% in 2020 compared to 2019. Asia Pacific is expected to be the largest market for automotive thermal systems market...
The global shape memory alloys market size is projected to grow from USD 11.0 billion in 2021 to USD 18.8 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 11.2% from 2021 and 2026. The growth in the market is highly attributed to the increasing demand for SMAs in the manufacturing of biomedical devices & surgical instruments, aircraft components and automotive...
229 pages •
By Asia Market Information & Development Company
• Aug 2021
China’s demand for Vehicle Meters & Gauges has grown at a fast pace in the past decade. In the next decade, both production and demand will continue to grow. The Chinese economy maintains a high speed growth which has been stimulated by the consecutive increases of industrial output, imports & exports, consumer...
The off-road vehicle market was valued at USD 14 billion in 2020, and it is anticipated to reach USD 18 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 4.12% during the forecast period (2021-2026). The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic acted as a restraint to the off-road vehicle market in 2020 due to the continuous travel and trade restrictions...
The overhead console market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow from US$ 4,543.86 million in 2021 to US$ 7,368.81 million by 2028; it is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 7.2% from 2021 to 2028. In the earlier generation, consumers used to purchase premium vehicles to reflect their social status, but the new generation is expressing other...
The global on street vehicle parking meter market is expected to grow from US$ 590.7 million in 2021 to US$ 1,138.8 million by 2028; it is estimated to register a CAGR of 8.6% from 2021 to 2028. On street parking has strong roots of deployment in developed nations as the peoples are keen towards a modern solution the adoption ratio is higher...
600 pages •
By The Business Research Company
• Jun 2021
Retail Global Market Opportunities And Strategies To 2030: COVID-19 Impact And Recovery provides the strategists, marketers and senior management with the critical information they need to assess the global lending market as it emerges from the COVID 19 shut down. Description: Where is the largest and fastest growing...
Number Of Enterprises
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.