Opioid Use Disorder: Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2028
Summary Opioids are synthetic or natural agents that stimulate opioid receptors in the brain and nervous system.Opioids are often used to treat patients suffering from pain.
When taken in the prescribed quantities, opioids do not generally lead to addiction.Opioid use disorder (OUD) is a chronic neurological disorder that is described as the consequences associated with repeated, compulsive use of opioid drugs, and prolonged self-administration of opioid drugs.
As the brain adapts to a prolonged opioid use, the patient’s tolerance increases, so a higher dose of opioid is needed to stimulate the mesolimbic system in the same way as the original dose, leading patients to use continued higher doses of the drug.There are two subsets of patients who suffer from OUD: patients who become addicted to medical opioids, which are used to treat chronic pain conditions, and patients who become addicted to non-medical opioids, such as heroin and fentanyl.
There is no single cause of OUD, but rather a combination of genetic and environmental factors that influence the patient.
Currently, several drugs have been approved for the treatment of OUD, which can be split into two classes: synthetic opioid receptor agonists (buprenorphine, methadone, morphine, and medical-grade heroin) and opioid antagonists (naltrexone).Many of these drugs have been widely available for decades and are genericized across the markets covered in this report.
Some reformulations that have been released more recently, and some are expected to launch during the forecast period, making them a market driver toward the end of the forecast period.
During the 10-year forecast period, the OUD market is expected to grow from $1.6B in 2018 to $3.7B in 2028 in the 8MM, which represents a CAGR of 8.8%. The US is expected to maintain its position as the market leader in 2028, with sales contributing 87.7% to the global market.
The main driver of growth over the forecast period will be the launch of new formulations of buprenorphine, particularly Indivior’s Sublocade, which is already launched in the US, Canada, and Australia, as well as Camurus’ Buvidal, which is already launched in Europe and Australia. Both are subcutaneous monthly forms of buprenorphine.
There are several drugs that will see their patents expire throughout the forecast period, the most high-profile being Indivior’s Suboxone, which is a key barrier of growth in this market.Suboxone, the sublingual buprenorphine + naloxone combination, was the highest-selling drug with sales of $859M in 2018.
However, its sales are expected to fall throughout the forecast period at a negative CAGR of 16.9%, due to generic erosion.
Key Questions Answered
- How will the OUD market landscape in the 8MM (US, Canada, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, and Australia) change from 2018-2028?
- What are the most promising late-stage pipeline drugs for OUD?
- How do the clinical and commercial attributes of late-stage pipeline therapies compare with one another, and against existing treatment options?
- What are the remaining unmet needs in OUD treatment management?
- What drivers and barriers will affect OUD therapeutics sales in the 8MM over the forecast period?
Scope - Overview of OUD, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current management strategies.
- Topline OUD market revenue from 2018-2028. Annual cost of therapy (ACOT) and major pipeline product sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include current treatment options, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting OUD therapeutics sales in the 8MM.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, synopses of innovative early-stage projects, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline products.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global OUD therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to Buy The report will enable you to - - Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the Global OUD market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the OUD therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
The North America multiple sclerosis therapeutics market is expected to reach US$ 15,269.74 million by 2027 from US$ 9,144.98 million in 2019; it is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.6% 2019-2027. The growth of the market is attributed to a few key driving factors such as the increasing prevalence of multiple sclerosis and rising funding for...
The South and Central America multiple sclerosis therapeutics market is expected to reach US$ 1,514.03 million by 2027 from US$ 1,009.82 million in 2019; it is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.5% from 2020 to 2027. The growth of the market is attributed to a few key driving factors such as the increasing prevalence of multiple sclerosis among...
The Europe multiple sclerosis therapeutics market is expected to reach US$ 13,281.11 million by 2027 from US$ 8,423.83 million in 2019; it is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.0% from 2020 to 2027. The growth of the market is attributed to a few key driving factors such as increasing awareness about multiple sclerosis amongst population, and...
The anaphylaxis treatment market is expected to reach US$ 4,787.66 million in 2028 from US$ 2,664.66 million in 2021; it is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 8.7% during 2021–2028. The growth of the market is mainly attributed to the key driving factors such as the rising incidence of anaphylaxis, and recent approvals of epinephrine. However,...
The global radiotherapy market is valued at USD 5.9 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 7.3 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period. The growth of this market is primarily driven by the rising burden of target diseases and increasing investments, funds, and grants for the development of novel products. Additionally,...
The global digital therapeutics market is projected to reach USD 13.1 billion by 2026 from USD 3.4billion in 2021, at a CAGR of 31.4%. Growth in this market is primarily driven by the increasing incidence of preventable chronic diseases, the need to control healthcare costs, rising focus on preventive healthcare, and rising investments in...
Hepatic Encephalopathy (Gastrointestinal) - Drugs in Development, 2021 Summary This latest Pharmaceutical and Healthcare disease pipeline guide Hepatic Encephalopathy - Drugs in Development, 2021, provides an overview of the Hepatic Encephalopathy (Gastrointestinal) pipeline landscape. Hepatic...
The non-invasive aesthetic treatment market was valued at US$ 6,504.19 million in 2020 and is projected to reach US$ 18,656.54 million by 2028; it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 14.08% during 2020-2028. The market growth is attributed to the rising number of non-invasive aesthetic/cosmetic procedures performed every year, surge in awareness...
330 pages •
By Roots Analysis Private Ltd.
• Mar 2021
INTRODUCTION Targeted protein degradation is a revolutionary pharmacological concept that presents viable drug development opportunities and is anticipated to introduce a new paradigm in modern therapeutic interventions. Due to various reasons, conventional drugs / therapies have been limited in terms of their capability...
Health Provider Density
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.