The insulated packaging market was valued at USD 13.47 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach a value of USD 18.68 billion by 2025, registering a CAGR of 5.71% over the forecast period (2020 – 2025). Insulation packaging is vital for combating energy losses during transportation and storage. Some of the significant characteristics of insulated packaging are high resistance to heat transfer, low cost, low weight, low moisture susceptibility, ease of fabrication and transportation, durability, and mechanical strength.
- Moreover, insulated packaging plays a significant role in various other end-user industries, such as pharmaceutical and electronics. Pharmaceutical is one of the major end users of these insulated packaging as the product is sensitive to temperature. The packaging of temperature-controlled pharmaceutical products and medical devices is witnessing considerable growth in the overall healthcare industry.
- The increase in the number of e-commerce websites for food and beverages and medicines is proliferating the need for delivery of perishable goods without any wastage. This is further increasing the adoption of insulated packaging by online grocery stores around the world. According to INE Spain, consumers who bought food and perishable goods online increased from 12.8% in 2015 to 18.6% in 2018.
- The major advancements in protective packaging in the past few years have led to the usage of new materials such as cotton and wool insulation to offer a bio-based approach for reducing carbon emissions. For instance, SwiftPak’s PLA bioplastic Packaging complies with local home or garden compost standards in the UK. The method has brought benefits such as keeping the internal product’s temperature within 4 degrees Celsius for up to 30 hours.
- As of May 2020, Softbox launched a new cardboard insulated shipper to deliver chilled food. This cardboard has been manufactured to offer effective insulation layers that are similar to those of traditional expanded polystyrene with similar efficiencies. By using its proprietary Thermaflute insulating technology, cardboard insulation packaging uses a single-use low cost parcel shipper featuring 100% recycled corrugated cardboard and no plastic. Such an initiative has led Softbox to remove 74.5 tonnes of plastic per year from their food delivery boxes and reduce 50% of plastic on the same.
- The outbreak of a pandemic has led to record numbers of consumers shopping online for groceries and restaurants moving to off-premises formats. Then, coming to insulated packaging for temperature-sensitive products, the pharmaceutical sector has been demanding. Considering the spike in e-commerce, the insulated packaging is expected to see strong sales with smaller e-commerce and food delivery formats across meal kits and other perishable food and beverage items. As multiple packages containing fresh and frozen items require good insulation, pandemic-led behavioral change has led to packages being left outdoors for some time.
Key Market Trends Food and Beverage Industry to Show the Maximum Application
- The food and beverage packaging industry is witnessing significant growth, owing to the increasing demand for packaged food and ready-to-eat food consumption. Moreover, the increasing trend of online food ordering and online grocery shopping is giving rise to the need for shipment and storage of perishables in a thermally controlled environment.
- Protection, preservation, maintaining, and extending the shelf-life of food products are the primary challenges faced in the food industry.? As the food products are prone to deteriorate over the period, which affects their flavor, taste, texture, and color, choosing the right packaging products is necessary.
- The consumption of frozen food is increasing in developed countries, such as the United States, Germany, Canada, and France, among others, which are driving the market for insulated packaging. According to Frozen and Refrigerated Buyer, in 2019, the frozen food sales in the United States were USD 9,384.88 million. Ice-cream contributed most to the sales of frozen food in the region with USD 1,418.38 million, whereas processed chicken/chicken substitute contributed USD 676.29 million.
- The packages containing frozen foods should be constructed, thermally insulated, and equipped with sufficient refrigerants to continuously maintain product temperature of 0°C (32°F) or colder. Insulated shipping boxes are needed as they limit the exchange of heat between the environment and the inside of the package. One of the most used thermal insulators in the food industry is expanded polystyrene (EPS) coolers.
United States to Hold Significant Market Share
- United States is expected to dominate the insulated packaging market due to the increasing number of food retail chains and their expansion, and the growing e-commerce industry. eCommerce continues to grow at a dramatic pace in the country, putting pressure on traditional retail.
- Consumers spent USD 601.75 billion online with U.S. merchants in 2019, up 14.9% from USD 523.64 billion the prior year, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce quarterly e-commerce figures. That was a relatively higher growth rate than 2018 when online sales reported by the Commerce Department rose 13.6% year over year. Also, sales of consumer packaged goods, long confined to traditional retail channels, are exploding online, with growth rates, in many cases, in excess of 50% YOY.
- Moreover, the presence of major giants such as Amazon and Walmart has significantly changed the buying trends of the grocery shoppers in the U.S. For instance, According to a study from the Retail Feedback Group, 31% of US digital grocery shoppers claimed that they purchased online groceries from Amazon in 2018. Also, 33% of shoppers claimed that they purchased online groceries from Walmart in 2018, which is a 7% increase as compared to 2017.
- Also, the ability to prevent damage to temperature-sensitive products like pharmaceuticals, foods, and cosmetics, insulated packaging commands a noticeable presence in several high-growth industries in the country like healthcare, food, and beverage, etc. This factor is expected to drive the insulating packaging market in the forecast period.
- Moreover, the government regulations in the country, for instance, the food-contact packaging sector of the U.S. is highly regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). With food being one of the most sensitive products to transfer and store, the regulations are expected to promote adoption of insulated packaging such as insulated food bags considerably.
Competitive Landscape The global insulated packaging market is moderately fragmented owing to many packaging solutions providers introducing insulated packaging in their product line and prevent the new entrants to enter the market. The companies are investing in their R&D to develop innovating packaging solutions so that their solutions cater to the needs of the growing demands of various end-users. A significant number of instances of mergers and acquisitions are also seen as a step towards increasing the market share. Some of the recent developments in the market are: - April 2020 - Cryopak introduced its next entry into an expanding line of ecologically-friendly shipping solutions with Solversa. Solversa is a 100% sustainable and recyclable product line that is made from post-consumer recycled PET or cotton fibers. It is designed to replace EPS products, foam, and other insulators. The Solversa line of products is appropriate for food & beverage delivery, pharmaceuticals, clinical studies/trials, and any other industry where products require temperature control.
- March 2020 - DS Smith worked closely with food retailers across Europe to design, develop, and produce new boxes designed to supply emergency provision boxes to the most vulnerable. As the focus quickly turned to home delivery to move goods directly to the front door of those who aren’t able to make it to the shops, DS Smith developed special new boxes to be filled by food retailers and left on the doorstep.
Reasons to Purchase this report: - The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
The liquid packaging carton market was valued at USD 10.03 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach a value of USD 12.01 billion by 2026 and grow at a CAGR of 3.06% over the forecast period (2021-2026). Cartons are paperboard containers manufactured by converters that are filled and closed in a food packaging plant. Cartons are made in a wide...
The market for Plastics Injection Molding is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are accelerating usage in consumer goods & electronics and growing demand in packaging industry. On the flipside, stringent environmental regulations on use of plastics and unfavourable conditions...
The retort pouch packaging market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.61% during the forecast period from 2020 to 2025. Moreover, the increasing demand for packed food is influencing the growth of this market. - Additionally, a higher number of consumers have shown a preference for on-the-go packaging solutions, which have led to the...
In-depth Analysis and Data-driven Insights on the Impact of COVID-19 Included in this Global Vacuum Packaging Market Report
The market has been growing in line with the food products packaging industry. The increase in consumption of processed and packaged food is one of the major driving factors, which is affecting the demand for...
The market for specialty films is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period. One of the major factors driving the market studied is the growing demand for conduction and insulation films. However, hindrances for multilayer film growth are likely to restrain the market’s growth. - Increasing usage of barrier films...
The Flexible Packaging Market was valued at USD 221.7 Billion in 2019, and it is projected to be worth USD 278.95 Billion by 2025, registering a CAGR of 3.89% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Technological innovation, sustainability trepidations, and attractive economics are among the reasons for the remarkable growth of flexible...
The global e-commerce plastic packaging market (henceforth, referred to as the market studied) was valued at USD 10.26 billion in 2019, and it is expected to reach USD 21.78 billion by 2025, registering a CAGR of 13.6% during 2020-2025 (henceforth referred to as the forecast period). The rapid growth of the market is primarily driven by fashion...
The e-commerce packaging market was valued at USD 27.04 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 61.55 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 14.59% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. E-commerce has emerged as a prominent choice for purchasing goods since the turn of the century, demanding robust packaging solutions to sustain handling and long...
The market for cling films is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period. One of the major factors driving the market studied is the increasing demand for hygienic food packaging. However, low resistance to extreme weather conditions is likely to restrain the market growth. - Increasing preference for packaged...
The global food service packaging market was valued at US$ 63,605.3 Mn in 2018 and is projected to be worth US$ 100,715.0 Mn by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 5.3% during the forecast period. The food service packaging includes the packaging for all kinds of food products such as fruits & vegetables, dairy products, confectionery, convenience...
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.