Systemic Sclerosis - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2030
Summary Systemic sclerosis (SSc) is a rare, multisystem autoimmune disease that causes progressive fibrosis of the skin and internal organs, as well as vascular dysfunction.The presentation of the disease is heterogeneous, both in the organ systems affected and the overall severity of symptoms.
The most common complications of SSc include digital vasculopathy (Raynaud’s phenomenon and digital ulcers), skin fibrosis, lung fibrosis or interstitial lung disease (ILD), pulmonary arterial hypertension, gastrointestinal issues, arthritis, myopathy, and scleroderma renal crisis. As there are no systemic disease-modifying therapies currently available that significantly alter the course of the disease, the SSc treatment paradigm is to manage complications within individual organ systems as they occur.
report and forecast model focus specifically on the treatment of SSC-associated digital vasculopathy, skin fibrosis, and ILD. Most of the drugs used to treat these disease manifestations are decades-old generic agents that have been repurposed from other indications, including immunosuppressive agents (such as methotrexate, mycophenolate mofetil, and cyclophosphamide) and vasodilative cardiovascular drugs (such as calcium channel blockers, PDE5 inhibitors, and prostacyclin analogs). The vast majority of SSc therapies are used off-label. However, there has recently been a major shift in the SSc market landscape, and new players are beginning to enter the space.
The analyst projects that the global SSc market, which comprises the seven major pharmaceutical markets (7MM) (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and Japan), will experience strong growth during the forecast period, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 14.0%, with sales growing from $498.0M in 2020 to $1.8B in 2030. Global growth in the SSc market will be driven by uptake of Boehringer Ingelheim’s (BI) recently launched Ofev (nintedanib) and Roche/Genentech’s Actemra/RoActemra (tocilizumab) for the treatment of SSc-associated ILD, along with the anticipated approval and launch of six pipeline therapies. This growth will be limited by sales erosion from generic nintedanib and biosimilars.
In this report, the analyst focuses its market forecast analysis on six Phase III and late Phase II products expected to be licensed for SSc between 2020 and 2030. These include four small molecule drugs—Civi BioPharma/Eicos Sciences’ IV Civi-030 (iloprost), Horizon Therapeutics’ HZN-825, Kadmon Corporation’s belumosudil mesylate, and Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma’s dersimelagon—and two monoclonal antibodies currently marketed for the treatment of PSO and PsA—Kyowa Kirin’s Lumicef (brodalumab) and J&J’s Tremfya (guselkumab).
Although key opinion leaders (KOLs) interviewed were pleased to see such an innovative late-stage pipeline for SSc, they did highlight major, lingering unmet needs in the field.These include needs for the development of disease-modifying and anti-fibrotic therapies, earlier diagnosis and treatment, and improved prognostic biomarkers.
KOLs were optimistic about the future of SSc but believed there was significant work left to be done in this space.
Key Highlights - The greatest drivers of growth in the global SSc market will be the recent launches of Ofev and Actemra/RoActemra for the treatment of ILD associated with SSc, the anticipated approval and launch of six pipeline therapies, a steadily climbing diagnosed prevalence rate, and a growing overall treatment rate due to growing access to new therapies.
- The main barriers to growth in the SSc market will be significant market share erosion from biosimilars and nintedanib generics as well as a historical treatment paradigm that focuses on the off-label use of inexpensive generic products.
- KOLs expressed enthusiasm for the six pipeline agents in development. Of these agents, KOLs were most interested in Civi Biopharma/Eicos Sciences’ Civi-030, Horizon Therapeutics’ HZN-825, and Kadmon Corporation’s belumosudil mesylate.
- The most important unmet needs in SSc are those for the development of disease-modifying and anti-fibrotic therapies, earlier diagnosis and treatment, and improved prognostic biomarkers.
KEY QUESTIONS ANSWERED
For the first time ever, treatment options for patients with SSc are beginning to expand.
- What impact will the recently launched drugs, Ofev and Actemra/RoActemra, have on the treatment of SSc throughout the 7MM?
- What pipeline agents are currently in late-stage clinical development, and which are the most promising?
Growing interest in SSc by the pharmaceutical industry is transforming research and development practices in the field.
- What are the main R&D trends in the SSc market and which companies are leading the way?
- How is clinical trial design for SSc changing and in what ways does it differ depending on disease manifestation?
KOLs interviewed have indicated that there are still many remaining unmet needs within the SSc indication.
- What are the main unmet needs in the SSc market?
- How can the pharmaceutical industry address these needs?
- To what degree will the therapies under development fulfill these unmet needs?
Scope - Overview of SSc including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Topline SSc therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and major pipeline product sales in the forecast period.
- Key topics covered include current treatment and pipeline therapies, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting SSc therapeutics sales in the 8MM.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global SSc therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to Buy The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies, using a detailed overview of current pipeline products and technologies to identify companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global SSc therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global SSc market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global SSc therapeutics market from 2020-2030.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
Masked Antibodies & Cytokines As Prodrugs: a landscape analysis of stakeholders, technologies, pipelines, business and financing from an industry perspective This report provides you with a landscape description and analysis of prodrug antibodies and cytokines employing conventional and novel masking technology...
Executive Summary Global Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Therapeutics Market was valued at USD 5.5 billion in the year 2020. The key factors driving growth in the global Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Therapeutics market is increased public awareness of the disease and its symptoms. The growing incidence of heartburn...
Executive Summary The Global Peptide Therapeutics Market is valued at USD 32.1 Billion in the year 2020. The growth of Peptide Therapeutics is directly associated with drug development. New drug discovery and product launch in chronic metabolic disorders would provide fruitful opportunities for Peptide Therapeutics Market....
The global wearable injectors market is projected to reach USD 11.5billion by 2026 from USD 7.2billion in 2021, at a CAGR of 9.9% during the forecast period. Growth in this market is mainly driven by factors such as the shift of healthcare delivery toward homecare due to COVID-19, advantages of wearable injectors in the administration of various...
Retinoic Acid Receptor Alpha - Drugs In Development, 2021 Summary Retinoic Acid Receptor Alpha (RAR Alpha or Nuclear Receptor Subfamily 1 Group B Member 1 or NR1B1 or RARA) pipeline Target constitutes close to 15 molecules. The latest report Retinoic Acid Receptor Alpha - Drugs In Development, 2021,...
Retinoic Acid Receptor Gamma - Drugs In Development, 2021 Summary Retinoic Acid Receptor Gamma (RAR Gamma or Nuclear Receptor Subfamily 1 Group B Member 3 or NR1B3 or RARG) - Retinoic acid receptor gamma (RARG) is a nuclear receptor that is encoded by the RARG gene. RARG bind as heterodimers to the...
175 pages •
By The Business Research Company
• Sep 2021
Major players in the biosimilar therapeutic peptides market are Eli Lilly, Sanofi, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Teva Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer Inc., Amgen Inc., AstraZeneca PLC, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Novartis AG, and Novo Nordisk A/S. The global biosimilar therapeutic peptides market is expected to grow from $0.76 billion in 2020 to $0.87...
The ablation technology market is projected to reach USD 8.1 Billion by 2026 from USD 5.2 Billion in 2021, at a CAGR of 9.3% during the forecast period. The growing elderly population has also driven the incidence of target conditions and contributed to the demand for effective treatment. However, the reuse and reprocessing of devices in developed...
175 pages •
By The Business Research Company
• Sep 2021
Major players in the coronavirus (COVID-19) current therapy market are Moderna Therapeutics, Novavax, Bravovax, Ascletis Pharma, Altimmune, Clover Biopharmaceuticals, Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Biocryst Pharma, Gilead Sciences, and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals. The global coronavirus (COVID-19) current therapy market is expected to...
Protein Kinase C Epsilon Type (nPKC Epsilon or PRKCE or EC 18.104.22.168) - Drugs in Development, 2021 Summary Protein Kinase C Epsilon Type (nPKC Epsilon or PRKCE or EC 22.214.171.124) - Protein kinase C (PKC) is an enzyme belonging to a family of serine- and threonine-specific protein kinases that is activated...
High Net Worth Individuals Number
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.