The Semiconductor Metrology and Inspection Equipment market was valued at USD 4,164.7 million in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 5,373.4 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 4.76%, during the period of 2021-2026 The outbreak of the COVID-19 across the globe has significantly disrupted the supply chain and production of the Semiconductor Metrology and Inspection Equipment market in the initial phase of 2020. For semiconductor manufacturers, the impact was more severe. Due to labor shortages, many of the players in the semiconductor supply chain across the world have reduced or even suspended operations. This has created a bottleneck for end-product companies that depend on semiconductors.?
- According to the Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI), silicon wafer area shipments, in 2019, reached 11,810 million square inches, increased from 10,434 million square inches in 2015. It also projected that the shipments could reach 17,600 million square inches by 2025.
- Additionally, By 2025, the semiconductor industry will experience significant benefits from the ongoing development and innovation in connectivity, communications, the automotive industry, and data centers. In addition, the increase in the consumption of electronic components used in the navigation of automobiles, safety, and infotainment further contributes to the growth of the semiconductor sector.
- In the European semiconductor industry, the increasing demand for a denser integrated circuit with higher performance and higher speeds is driving the technological advances in all facets of manufacturing.
- Moreover, in the APAC region, the trend toward the multiple layer measurement is increasing due to the use of cluster deposition systems, where the lack of existence of single layer measurement is driving the market. Also, the fab manufacturers are shifting process monitors from bare wafers to production wafers due to higher cost and inspection challenges faced by the miniaturization of wafers.
- Furthermore, Inspection and Metrology are becoming critical in the silicon carbide (SiC) industry, as SiC device manufacturers made a transition from 100 mm to 150 mm wafers in a fab that posed challenges for vendors to find yields and defects levels in 150 mm wafers.
Key Market Trends
Lithography Metrology Expected to Witness Significant Growth in the Market
- With the continuous transitions, such as miniaturization of nodes and wafer sizes, the growth in demand for increasing wafer sizes for ultra-large-scale integration fabrication technology has fostered the growth of lithography metrology equipment. In addition, a critical dimension scanning electron microscope (CD-SEM) is used for measuring the dimensions of the patterns formed on the wafer; the device is used as part of the manufacturing lines of electronic devices. Presently, CD-SEM has been witnessing significant demand, owing to the semiconductor production process. - Semiconductor Metrology and Inspection Equipment vendors are increasingly innovating their offerings to enable miniaturization and reduce lithography wavelength. For instance, ASML’s EUV lithography uses light with a wavelength of 13.5 nanometres, declining nearly 14 times that of other enabling lithography solutions. - Additionally, Market Vendors are increasingly developing advanced CD measurement techniques and services to cater to the increasing demand from the industry to move toward the miniaturization requirements. For instance, In June 2021, EV Group (EVG), a supplier of wafer bonding and lithography equipment for the MEMS, nanotechnology, and semiconductor markets, announced EVG Step-and-Repeat (S&R) Mastering Shop, a new service offering to help customers accelerate the deployment of nanoimprint lithography (NIL) in high-volume manufacturing. - Furthermore, In March 2021, ASML and Heriot-Watt University in Scotland agreed on a five-year partnership to commercialize new laser sources to create a direct route to market for lasers in lithography metrology applications.
Asia-Pacific Expected to Witness Significant Growth in the Market
- Asia-Pacific is one of the prominent regions for the semiconductor industry in regards to manufacturing and usage. According to SIA, Asia Pacific is the largest regional semiconductor market, and China is the largest single-country market.
- Many companies in the region are entering into collaborations and partnerships in the semiconductor metrology/inspection equipment market. For instance, In July 2021, Shenzhen JT Automation Equipment, a Chinese chip production tool manufacturer, announced a legally binding five-year memorandum of understanding with Huawei’s HiSilicon Technologies business. Both firms aim to expand their semiconductor packaging tool development partnership and create a self-sufficient and regulated industry.
- The Region is witnessing with development and innovation in the Semiconductor Metrology and Inspection Equipment Market. For instance, In November 2020, Hitachi High-Tech Corporation announced the high-speed defect review SEM*1 CR7300. The CR7300 is a new model of review SEM that will contribute to the productivity improvement in the manufacturing of semiconductor devices. It is based on electron optics that allow the acquisition of the best high-resolution images. At the same time, advanced imaging and stage systems enable high-speed image acquisition in half of the time compared to conventional methods, significantly reducing total inspection time.
- Further, in October 2020, Canon has announced the launch of the FPA-3030i5a, the newest entry in the company’s lineup of i-line1 stepper semiconductor lithography systems that support the manufacture and inspection. The FPA-3030i5a semiconductor lithography system is designed to process small substrates of 8 inches or less. In addition, it supports silicon wafers and compound semiconductor materials such as SiC (silicon carbide) and GaN (gallium nitride).
The semiconductor metrology inspection equipment market is moderately, with a considerable number of regional and global players. The innovation drives the market in the product offerings, and each vendor is investing in innovation.
- June 2021 - KLA Corporation announced the launch of four new products for automotive semiconductor metrology and inspection. includes the 8935 high productivity patterned wafer inspection system, the C205 broadband plasma patterned wafer inspection system, the Surfscan SP A2/A3 unpatterned wafer inspection systems, and I-PAT inline defect part average testing screening solution. - April 2021 - Applied Materials, Inc. announced AIx, a platform that accelerates the discovery, development, and commercial deployment of new chip technologies. AIx enables engineers to see into semiconductor processes in real-time, take millions of measurements across wafers and individual chips, and optimize thousands of process variables to improve semiconductor performance, power, area-cost, and time to market (PPACt). The AIx platform works across all Applied Materials process equipment, eBeam metrology systems, and inspection systems and is extendable from lab to fab.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format - 3 months of analyst support
Our reports have been used by over 10K customers, including:
The Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) Equipment Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 25% over the forecast period 2021 to 2026. The COVID -19 outbreak affected the overall semiconductor and chip fabrication market from the demand side and the supply side. The nationwide lockdowns and closure of semiconductor plants have fueled the supply shortage...
Semiconductor Microscopes market is one of the high-growth prospect industries with potential opportunities throughout 2028. The Semiconductor Microscopes Market growth analysis and insights report analyzes emerging market trends, market size outlook, potential opportunities, market share by Semiconductor Microscopes types, applications. Further,...
The global intelligent power module (IPM) market reached a value of US$ 1.5 Billion in 2020. Looking forward, the analyst expects the market to grow at a CAGR of 9.6% during 2021-2026. Keeping in mind the uncertainties of COVID-19, we are continuously tracking and evaluating the direct as well as the indirect influence of the pandemic on different...
The power electronics market is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 4.62% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The growing need for power-efficient products is one of the major factors driving the demand for power electronics products across all end-user industries. Therefore, the increasing need for energy-efficient products in markets, such...
The global power transistors market is expected to exhibit moderate growth during 2021-2026. Power transistors are electronic components that are used as switches or amplifiers for high-power applications. They comprise three semiconductor terminals, known as base, emitter and collector, which aid the transistor in...
The global super junction MOSFET market exhibited strong growth during 2015-2020. Looking forward, the analyst expects the market to grow at a CAGR of 13.4% during 2021-2026. Keeping in mind the uncertainties of COVID-19, we are continuously tracking and evaluating the direct as well as the indirect influence of the...
120 pages •
By Infiniti Research Limited
• Jul 2021
Global Epitaxy Deposition Market 2021-2025 The analyst has been monitoring the epitaxy deposition market and it is poised to grow by $ 3.68 bn during 2021-2025, decelerating at a CAGR of 10.51% during the forecast period. Our report on the epitaxy deposition market provides a holistic analysis, market size and forecast,...
Semiconductor bonding market was valued at USD 887 million in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 1,059 million by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 3.6% between 2021 to 2026. The growing demand for semiconductor bonding in applications such as electric and hybrid vehicles is driving the growth of semiconductor bonding market. The semiconductor...
The machine vision market is estimated to be valued at USD 11.0 billion in 2021 and reach USD 15.5 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 7.0%. The major driving factors in the machine vision market is the increasing need for quality inspection and automation, growing demand for vision-guided robotic systems, increasing adoption of vision-guided robotic...
You can change your Cookie Settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them.