Singapore Exchange Limited - Enterprise Tech Ecosystem Series Summary
Singapore Exchange Limited (SGX) is an investment holding company that operates equity, derivatives, and fixed income markets.It offers trading, listing, settlement, clearing, depositary, and data services, with approximately 75% of listed bonds and 40% of listed companies and originating outside Singapore.
SGX is a liquid offshore market for the benchmark equity indices of ASEAN members and non-members, including India, Japan, and China; and provides currency and commodity derivatives products.The company also offers data and market connectivity services.
It serves clients globally through offices in Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, the US, Germany, France, the UK, Switzerland, and the Netherlands.
Singapore Exchange has backed and owns 10% stake in the DBS Bank’s DBS Digital Exchange. Launched in 2020, with the approval of Monetary Authority of Singapore, DBS Digital Exchange provides institutional and accredited investors with fully integrated tokenization, trading, and custodian ecosystem for digital assets by leveraging blockchain technology.
In 2017, SGX signed memorandum of understanding with Exploit Technologies Pte Ltd (ETPL), the commercialization arm of the Agency for Science, Technology, and Research (A*STAR), to help start-ups and SMEs transform their inventions into products and services, by gaining access to research and development capabilities and capital markets.
In May 2017, SGX and Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) signed memorandum of intent (MOI) to support fast growing IMDA-accredited companies, by leveraging private and public capital markets for their expansion in Singapore. Under the [email protected]
program, both companies will lower the access barriers and create a streamlined path for innovative technology companies into the capital markets, by curating and nurturing them for high growth.
Launched in November 2016, Project Ubin is an industry collaboration between SGX, Monetary Authority of Singapore and consortium of financial institutions and technology companies, to explore use of DLT for clearing and settlement of payments and securities, and make financial transactions and processes more transparent, resilient and low cost.
This report provides insight into SGX’s fintech activities, including its digital transformation strategies, its innovation programs, its technology initiatives, its estimated ICT budget, and its major ICT contracts.
- SGX has embraced digital collaboration tools and services to support its digital transformation and developed digital curriculum to train employees on digital solutions. To enhance its customer experiences, SGX is investing in digital experiences across online platforms, including RegCo Submission portal for listed companies, in-house Titan OTC Pro platform for commodity clients, and new Investor Portal for retail investors.
- SGX is strengthening its software development capabilities and building differentiated platforms to support its multi-asset class strategy. Ms. Tinku Gupta acts as Chief Technology Officer for SGX, responsible for overall planning, development and implementation of technology strategies and initiatives, as well as operations of SGX Technology environment.
- SGX is leveraging AI, ML, and big data technologies to improve operational efficiency and help traders trade fast and securely, by reducing latency rates and introducing data tools. For instance, SGX RegCo uses AI-powered, real-time surveillance system to monitor trade transactions.
- SGX is collaborating with organizations and institutions to support start-up ecosystem and help them scale their solutions, and in turn leverage their innovative technologies in its business process. SGX signed MOU with Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA), to create a streamlined path for innovative technology companies into the capital markets.
Reasons to Buy
- Gain insights into SGX’s tech operations.
- Gain insights into its fintech strategies and innovation initiatives.
- Gain insights into its technology themes under focus.
- Gain insights into various product launches, partnerships, investment and acquisition strategies.